Can't boot Manjaro. Grub rescue appears

Hi.

So, I installed Manjaro with my bios in Legacy and installed Windows 10 with bios in UEFI

So, when I wanted to switch between OS I just changed the bios.
A few days ago I tried a new OS (PrimeOS) and had to install it in UEFI... But when I went to the bios and switched to Legacy, I couldn't boot Manjaro anymore

Picture of Grub Rescue

I'm on a Manjaro live USB right now, I tried tutorials from this forum and others, but can't install Grub.

Here's a Gparted screenshot (don't know if it's relevant though)

Manjaro is installed in /dev/sda5
It was without flags, so I tried with "bios_grub", "boot & esp", "legacy_boot" and "msftdata" but none worked

What can I do to get grub to show up again?

Thanks!

That seems a little silly. If your PC was set to boot in UEFI mode why did you install Manjaro in BIOS mode?

OK, so you broke Manjaro by installing a different OS. Why is this a Manjaro issue? Why aren't you asking on the "PrimeOS" forum about why installing their OS broke Manjaro?

The easy answer is to reinstall Manjaro in UEFI mode.

2 Likes

That seems a little silly. If your PC was set to boot in UEFI mode why did you install Manjaro in BIOS mode?

I really don't know why but I did it that way.. Manjaro in Legacy and Windows in UEFI

OK, so you broke Manjaro by installing a different OS. Why is this a Manjaro issue? Why aren't you asking on the "PrimeOS" forum about why installing their OS broke Manjaro?

I suppose because I want to fix Manjaro so I'm looking for help in the Manjaro forum

The easy answer is to reinstall Manjaro in UEFI mode.

If I do that, will I be able to keep my previous installation?
I would rather to not do a OS installation, I prefer to find a way to install Grub again

"I installed Windows and it broke Manjaro, can you help?"
"I installed Manjaro and it broke Windows, can you help?"

So no matter what, it's the Manjaro community's responsibility to fix the issue...

You've got a weird setup so it may not work, but you might find success with:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

"I installed Windows and it broke Manjaro, can you help?"
"I installed Manjaro and it broke Windows, can you help?"

So no matter what, it's the Manjaro community's responsibility to fix the issue...

I wouldn't say responsible, it's the consequence of being a great community! We always search for help here :slight_smile:

I tried it earlier, but I will try it again and post the results

There's a couple of fitting idioms:

"A willing horse is given more work"
"If you want something doing then ask a busy person"

Neither is fair. Neither is right.

Just because the Manjaro community is active and willing to help does not mean you should impose on their "good will" for every problem you have.

Otherwise that "good will" will rapidly disappear and you'll find yourself in yet another forum where people are simply told to RTFM.

"This is why we can't have nice things."

7 Likes

Try to boot Manjaro using this in bios-legacy mode.
Then provide information as stated in the link.
Let's take a look on your unusual setup.
Maybe we can work around it.
But a proper setup is always better.
gpt use uefi
msdos use bios-legacy
do not mix uefi and bios-legacy
do not mix gpt and msdos
caveats apply - only to experts, the brave or the foolish (not judging - you decide what you are)

Chroot didn't open so I did it in the terminal and showed this error:

[manjaro-deepin /]# grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: /boot/efi doesn't look like an EFI partition.

And for UEFI systems when I put
sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=manjaro --recheck

Shows the same error: grub-install: error: /boot/efi doesn't look like an EFI partition.

You booted liveOS in uefi.

Reminder - For this, you do not boot up liveOS. Just get to its boot menu. And from there, you boot to the installed OS. Obviously, you're not an expert. Yes, now I'm judging. :rofl:

4 Likes

Thank you!

I didn't know I was booting the LiveOS in UEFI! :sweat_smile:

I always chose the same option to boot up from the USB, but after reading you, I looked carefully and there's another USB option which says "USB HDD SanDisk". So I chose that one, followed the guide and it's working!

Thanks so much!

1 Like

You're welcome and welcome to Manjaro.
Did anybody tell you there's a price for membership in and getting help from our 'great community'?
3 jars of the finest local honey would be fine. :rofl:

Cheers, take care.

2 Likes

Interesting thread. How did you determine the OP booted live in efi mode. Every live iso I've ever booted , efi was never active until I mounted it.

Here.

Cheers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.