Can't boot Manjaro after following steps for Smooth-Bootup

After following these steps:
Install Grub-Fedora (I didn't find grub-quiet)
sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
sed -i -e 's|fsck||g' /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo update-grub

Restarting and trying to boot Manjaro it throws an error that I need to load the kernel first.
I have tried booting into Manjaro using a Live CD but after booting I tried: pacman -S grub
Then: sudo grub-install /dev/sda/, which throws this error:
grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda/. Check your device.map.

Output of lsblk -f:

NAME   FSTYPE   LABEL         UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
loop0  squashfs                                                          0   100% /var/lib/snapd/sna
loop1  squashfs                                                          0   100% /var/lib/snapd/sna
loop2  squashfs                                                          0   100% /var/lib/snapd/sna
loop3  squashfs                                                          0   100% /var/lib/snapd/sna
loop4  squashfs                                                          0   100% /var/lib/snapd/sna
loop5  squashfs                                                          0   100% /var/lib/snapd/sna
sda                                                                               
├─sda1 ntfs     Windows 10    01D57AA543974FC0                                    
├─sda2 ntfs                   01D57AA11EE1B750                                    
├─sda3 ntfs                   FE82A48982A4484B                                    
├─sda5 ext4                   606b8d00-a960-4f02-bebf-dc480f747666   34.5G    31% /
└─sda6 swap                   e3f6d25c-3aa9-4886-b9c7-b0c327b740b7                [SWAP]
sdb                                                                               
├─sdb1                                                                            
├─sdb2 ntfs     Data          E818093A18090970                                    
├─sdb3 ntfs     Documents     7C1288151287D316                                    
├─sdb4 ntfs     Audios/Photos 78ACA9EDACA9A65A                                    
└─sdb5 ntfs     Videos        4AAA6929AA6912AD     

Output of inxi:

CPU: Dual Core Intel Core i3-3220 (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 1597/1600/3300 MHz 
Kernel: 5.2.11-1-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 59m Mem: 1546.7/3907.9 MiB (39.6%) 
Storage: 1.36 TiB (1.2% used) Procs: 207 Shell: bash 5.0.9 inxi: 3.0.36 

I have no idea where to go from here. Could not find any resources on this. P.S. Both Windows and Manjaro are in legacy mode.

Correct way of hiding grub:

grub-quiet (based on grub-fedora) is no more, it got merged into the main grub package some time ago. Since then, they have dropped it altogether because of boot failures with certain setups. They now use ubuntu's method of silent boot instead

Changes made to Grub 2.04-6

Due to some bugs with the Fedora patches in regard of BTRFS we are using now the Ubuntu approach to hide the menu via GRUB_TIMEOUT .

These are the current options to style the timeout:

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=countdown
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

You may want to double-check your settings in /etc/default/grub

2 Likes

Install grub-vanilla .
At /etc/default/grub

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden

In addition to 'quiet' in the kernel parameters, you might want to add

udev.log_priority=3 systemd.show_status=0 nowatchdog audit=0

to suppress all systemd and error messages.

1 Like

That's all fine and all but,

What do I do about that?

It is not

It is
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

I tried that too BTW. Same error

Okay. Do this command first

parted /dev/sda set 5 boot on
1 Like

Is there any way to remove the welcome to grub message at startup?

And can the same thing be done using grub instead of grub-vanilla? Just wondering.

grub-vanilla will have the 'welcome to grub' message appearing.
The default grub 2.04.6 will not.
This can be removed only when compiling the upstream grub for the distro package.

Forum kindly sponsored by