Can't boot into Manjaro at the start-up

Hello, I installed the Manjaro Deepin 17.1.11.1 edition using a bootable usb drive. (I used rufus to make the usb and clicked on the DD mode). I did the installation as shown in this article: Article and i made Manjaro the only OS in my main drive. But when i remove the usb and let the system boot it shows me this message: “reboot and select proper boot device. Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”. Is it that the system takes the usb as main drive and tries to boot from it or is it something that has to do with Grub?

Thank you in advance:)

If you motherboard can choose boot mode ( EFI, Legacy/bios or both at the same time) I tend to set EFI or Legacy/bios.

I’ve seen it before, where system booted in legacy bios and install itself as EFI, failing somewhere in the middle.

If I choose Efi, the usb will boot in efi and install it self in efi, I know that cause I set that in BIOS manually.

It’s worth the try.

I guess you installed in bios-legacy.
I also guess you’ve set mbr to the install usb instead of the hard drive when installing.

If that is the case, boot up to installed OS in hard drive start computer from the usb install media.
When booted verify what is the hard drive (sda or sdb) and do
sudo grub-install /dev/sda (or /dev/sdb)

In doubt, do both.

If you cannot find a way to boot to installed hard drive OS, boot up livecd OS and at terminal
Verify what is installed OS partition using “lsblk -f”. Then

sudo mount /dev/sdxy /mnt
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdx

where /dev/sdxy is the manjaro partition.
sdx is the disk.

Reminder all above is for bios-legacy only.
If UEFI (but I don’t think so), you’ve installed … never mind, just let us know.

Sadly my motherboard doesn’t support that. It only has a secure boot mode which I have disabled.

Does that mean your system is UEFI?
Can we cut out some ambiguity here?
I can understand uncertainty or ‘don’t know’, but if we can be clearer, please do.

That article that you followed is for bios-legacy.
For UEFI, you will need a $esp partition; mounted as /boot/efi
And disk needs to be gpt partitioned.
look at our UEFI installation wiki and reinstall again.

Yeah my system is UEFI. I am currently doing a gpt partition following the instructions on the user guide provided in the Manjaro. I will let you know of the results once it is finished.

It would be helpful if you said what you system is; model, CPU, and perhaps BIOS version.
Some systems that have a problem with booting using the Grub boot manager (eg. many Atom Cherry-Trail or Apollo-Lake devices) can only boot using the rEFInd boot manager. See this example of installing Manjaro on a Celeron N3450 Apollo-Lake system.

My CPU is: Intel® Core™ i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz
I used to have Windows 10 installed
BIOS Information:
Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: X550CL.204
Release Date: 10/17/2013

What brand, model?

I did exactly as the user guide suggested meaninng creating a gpt table and 3 partitions(1 for /boot/efi flagged as esp and boot, one swap and one for Manjaro) multiple times with no effect. When I remove the usb it just goes straight into the bios. I will try another distro to see if is the ISO is problematic.

It’s a laptop from ASUS Model: X550CL which i bought in 2014 i think.

Have you searched the forum for similar issues?
Have you read any forum tutorial?

I’ll check the guides and reply back with my progress so far.:slight_smile:

Try reinstalling in BIOS Legacy mode. You BIOS may not like not finding any Windows installation in UEFI mode.

1. in the UEFI (in the new “Bios”), disable “Fast Boot” (if any), disable “Secure Boot” and switch the “Boot Mode” to “Legacy” instead of “UEFI” (w/some it is necessary to activate “Launch CSM” which is the equivalent of “Legacy”)
  2. then boot the USB install media and perform the full installation.

I have disabled Fast Boot and Secure Boot options but I can’t seem to find any Boot Mode option so I can change between UEFI or Legacy. I will recreate the usb but this time I will set it to GPT as I had chosen MBR the last time and try again.

So I re-wrote the ISO in the usb and this time used GPT(from the Rufus parameters) and when I re-installed, the OS is working just fine.
I would like to thank everyone for their support and please consider this topic closed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark