Cant boot into manjaro anymore after adding a ubuntu partition to pc

I recently shrunk my manjaro partition from 800GB to 700GB to add a 100GB Ubuntu partition. Installing ubuntu to these 100GB worked fine, but now when I restart my PC, I get a different grub menu (I previously had a Theme, now its just the typical black and white grub menu) and when I select Manjaro in the grub menu, my laptop just gets stuck in the DELL screen and never proceeds. I had no success with switching to another TTY from there, so I am on a live CD of manjaro but I would not know how to proceed from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Try chrooting from the live CD… :point_down:

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a

Select your Manjaro installation. Then try the following… :point_down:

nano /etc/default/grub

Edit the file so that you have GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu instead of GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden, and so that you have GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false instead of GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true.

Save the file. Now run… :point_down:

grub-install --recheck
update-grub

In theory, this should fix the problem, and it will add Ubuntu to Manjaro’s GRUB menu.

1 Like

The variables in /etc/default/grub were already set to menu and false respectively. I just installed and updated grub and will try rebooting now

Ok this seems to have fixed it, thank you. But windows is not listed in the GRUB menu anymore, is there an easy way to fix this? Its not too important but would be nice to have

This is probably because you installed Windows in a different boot mode. You cannot mix systems that boot in native UEFI mode and systems that boot in legacy BIOS mode.

If all systems do indeed boot in the same mode, then the only thing that would explain it is if you somehow damaged the Windows boot by playing with the partition table. But in that case, best would be to start a separate thread for that — I can’t really be of help on account of anything to do with Windows, because I don’t use that. :wink:

Ok, thanks. I suppose they were all in the same boot mode since manjaro and windows previously showed up in the grub menu and windows still seems to work fine now, but I am using it rarely anyways, so it doesnt really matter.

Thanks again for helping me with getting back into manjaro though :wave:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.