Can't boot from bios or menu

First of all Hello!

I’m new to the forum and basically new to Linux. I have been running linux mint on another computer for a while now but haven’t messed around with it much.

Yesterday I decided to install Manjaro KDE on my desktop, while trying to keep windows 10 as well. I cleared 2/3 ssd’s so i could keep my windows system on one and have the other two open for linux. I installed manjaro from a live usb to an empty ssd. When I boot now it shows me the “Bios boot” or “boot from menu” MSI page it always had but now the keys (DEL and F11) don’t seem to work. I tried using a windows 10 live usb to see if it would work then but it seems they don’t work at all.

Could anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Johnny

can you boot on USB iso manjaro ?

if so
recheck info

inxi -Mxa ( check for UEFI only , not UEFI[legacy] or Bios )
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo efi || echo bios

in your UEFI motherboard

disable secure boot
disable fast boot
disks on AHCI
no legacy
no CSM
UEFI only or others ( not windows )

you should see
UEFI < USB vendor name > < partition 1 > → boot in EFI

Please bare with me I am a noob.

I have both windows and manjaro on separate live usb’s. when trying to boot from manjaro live usb I restart computer.

MSI bios screen comes up

press del to boot from bios or F11 to boot from menu

pressing either of these keys does nothing and manjaro boots from ssd

Are you saying while in manjaro I should go in to my manjaro live usb and try to boot from there? I don’t know how to get to my UEFI motherboard. I’m assuming I partitioned something wrong.

so then lets check

inxi -Fza 
sudo parted -l 

is there a way to copy and paste my konsole output here?

The output to sudo parted -l is:

[sudo] password for ryland: 
Model: ATA Crucial_CT275MX3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 275GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB  105MB  primary  ntfs         boot
 2      106MB   274GB  274GB  primary  ntfs
 3      274GB   275GB  584MB  primary  ntfs         msftres

Model: ATA WDC WD5000AACS-0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 500GB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  238GB  238GB  primary  ntfs

Model: ATA CT500MX500SSD1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name  Flags
 1      2097kB  317MB  315MB   fat32                 boot, esp
 2      317MB   491GB  490GB   ext4
 3      491GB   500GB  9449MB  linux-swap(v1)        swap

Model: Generic Flash Disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 4089MB
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 2      2842MB  2846MB  4194kB  primary               esp

so you have
sda , sb and sdc ( sdd is USB iso )
sda & sdb is partition MBR ( not GPT so no /boot/efi in theses disks )
sdc is where you have try to install , and there is a /boot/efi

so before installing , you have no partition /boot/efi ,
means that your option UEFI boot was fallback to bios mode

use

report text here 

before going further , i will warn
its better , if possible to have GPT on disks ( for all )
format GPT or MBR will destroy your datas

if possible do a backup ,
see how to convert MBR to GPT disks
https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/convert-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk.html

then after you will see for install manjaro

I believe sda is where my Windows 10 lives

sdc is manjaro

I’m not sure if I’m getting confused but manjaro is the os that I’m currently in, windows 10 is what I was in but cannot access because of the bios/boot menu keys not doing anything. I just want the ability to boot in to Windows 10 again.

so what i should do is format all my discs (sda and sdb) to GPT and try again?

also when you said

“use” the text underneath says “report text here”

is that correct?

you cant boot with mixed disks ( GPT & MBR )
so first , retry and correct option boot for windows and see how to convert MBR to UEFI
after you will se for install Manjaro

create profile windows and linux in your UEFI motherboard

1 Like

I’m an idiot,

I had to move my computer to hook it up through ethernet and when I plugged my keyboard in I used a different USB port. I can now access BIOS and Boot from menu.

I have totally wiped all discs aside from my GPT manjaro, converted them from MBR to GPT. I’ll try booting windows from my liveusb now and see how it goes.

thank you Stephane for your time

1. In the future, when providing code/output, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text so that the output looks like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
    Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
    Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

instead of like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.`

(as that makes both our lives much easier)

2. No need to do anything right now as I’m an editor here on this site and have fixed it for you already. However, in the future I might not see your post so review my edits by pushing the orange pencil above the post I just fixed. :wink:

3. I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

Can't boot from bios or menu - #9 by stephane

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.