Canon MF644Cdw printer

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/CUPS/Printer-specific_problems#Canon

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?O=0&SeB=nd&K=canon+mf&outdated=&SB=p&SO=d&PP=50&submit=Go

When you have found the right package, activate AUR in the Pamac software management settings and search for the package.

I think it should be this one
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cndrvcups-lb-bin

1 Like

Using the add remove software I got this :

Tks for the help Much appreciated.

During the installation I got :
/var/tmp/pamac-build-yoda/python2/PKGBUILD: line 40: patch: command not found
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
Aborting…

The complete text is :
Building python2…
==> Making package: python2 2.7.18-8 (Thu 26 Oct 2023 09:21:55 PM EDT)
==> Checking runtime dependencies…
==> Checking buildtime dependencies…
==> Retrieving sources…
→ Found Python-2.7.18.tar.xz
→ Found Python-2.7.18.tar.xz.asc
→ Found mtime-workaround.patch
→ Found python-gentoo-patches-2.7.18_p16.tar.xz
==> Validating source files with sha512sums…
Python-2.7.18.tar.xz … Passed
Python-2.7.18.tar.xz.asc … Skipped
mtime-workaround.patch … Passed
python-gentoo-patches-2.7.18_p16.tar.xz … Passed
==> Verifying source file signatures with gpg…
Python-2.7.18.tar.xz … Passed
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory…
==> Extracting sources…
→ Extracting Python-2.7.18.tar.xz with bsdtar
==> Starting prepare()…
bsdtar: Removing leading ‘/’ from member names
/var/tmp/pamac-build-yoda/python2/PKGBUILD: line 40: patch: command not found
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
Aborting…

I am more used to Debian and I don’t have the knowledge to DEBUG that.

Before using the AUR you need some prerequisites.
Namely base-devel and git.

1 Like

tks ! Shouln’t base-level and git be installed by default ?

Anyway the installation did worked but my Printer is not listed in the long list of Canon Printer… I will google a bit more…

Tks again

In what way?
They are not included in the list of preinstalled packages.

This tutorial MF644cdw Printer on Manjaro (spread out over a few pages) seems easy to follow.

In many cases, a printer definition similar enough to yours will also work with Cups; possibly with some tweaking.

Cheers.

1 Like

I am currently trying difference config (Printer choices ) and will let you know if it work

The scanner works but for now, the printer is not…

Tried : cndrvcups-lb-bin and cndrvcups-lb and cndrvcups-sfp without success

Choosed my MF644 printer in the list, and also tried other models close to MF644 without success

You uninstalled each of these after finding they didn’t work, right?

Here’s another simple guide which may be helpful. Also the CUPS page from ArchLinux, which has detailed examples of uri usage.

This is particularly interesting:-

According to this thread Canon MF644cdw No Exact Driver Match the driver marked as the solution was UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V5.80; the download link on the page leads to the most recent driver available (2023-08-02).

Cheers.

1 Like

Yes I did uninstall and also had to kill some CUPS processed that were stucked and making my Desktop Fan go Crazy LOL

Tks for the 5.80 link !! I found something about that on a Chinese site but though I needed some Arch version of that… I lack some knowledge about CUPS and arch and what I can use “as is” from the Debian and/or manufacturer… will make some reading…

Opinion:- It’s unfortunate that Canon themselves don’t seem particularly interested in supporting Linux. From memory, there are a few aging (and useless) drivers for Debian, and nothing more.

1 Like

I would love to help the next person to solve the problem but I tried " so many things".
The solution, that I tried 1st and it didn’t worked, now seem to have worked…
I must have did something for it to work but I’ll go with :

cndrvcups-lb seem to be the solution.

I used the MF633C / MF 635 C UFR II Driver…

Perhaps not the ideal solution (no thanks to Canon) but at least it’s finally working.

Cheers. :partying_face:

Manjaro is based on Archlinux, and uses mostly Arch packages under the hood, so that package should ideally have also worked.

1 Like

Unless I missed something the Canon 5.80 archive didn’t have anything I could used…

According to this thread Canon MF644cdw No Exact Driver Match the driver marked as the solution was UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V5.80 ; the download link on the page leads to the most recent driver available (2023-08-02).

Press the Big Red download button. :wink:

But aren’t those for Debian, Redhat etc ?
Imgur

I didn’t download the package. Considering it was marked as the solution in the thread indicated (same printer), then it’s likely the one. Look under x64; though the install.sh script is probably smart enough to select the correct driver needed. Under Documents I’m guessing will be more useful information.

You might just as well stick with the current solution, if its working as expected. The option remains linked here for others to try if they wish to.

1 Like

OOPS noobie
I took for granted that .sh script could only run under Debian and not under Arch/Manjaro…

1 Like

Hi. Maybe it is worth to try this AUR package:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ufrii-print
It installs the official Canon UFRII/UFRII LT driver v.5.70

EDIT. This Canon page gives it as a proper driver for MF644cdw:
https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/color-imageclass-mf644cdw

1 Like

The UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V5.80 already referenced is the official Canon driver for Linux.

1 Like