Cannot upgrade a newly installed system

I just installed a new computer with manjaro-i3 official installer. Then I tried to upgrade my packages using “sudo pacman -Suy” and I get this error:

installation of anvidia-utils (550.78-1) breaks the “nvidia-utils=535.104.05” dependency required by linux65-nvidia

As far as I understand, linux65 kernel is too old, and not supported anymore. So I tried to upgrade the kernel first:

mhwd-kernel -i linux69

but it throws the exact same error. Then I tried to switch to another installed kernel, but since this is a new installation, there is nothing to switch to:

mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 6.5.3-1-MANJARO (linux65)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

• linux65

At this point, I’m stuck. I have no idea how to upgrade my system. Can somebody please help me? Thank you.

Well, this is the old kernel. You can remove packages associated with the NVIDIA driver (preferably remember that you were deleted). Update the system, then install a new kernel and delete the old kernel. Next, install NVIDIA drivers. It is important not to turn it off and do not reboot the system in the process. I advise you to use the nvidia-dkms package instead of LinuxXX-nvidia

Thank you, although you did not give any clue about how to “update the system”. That was my initial problem, I did not know how to do that. (Obviously, a simple pacman -Suy was not solving this.) In the meantime, I found out that “pamac upgrade” does the trick. I’m still not sure why it worked, and why “pacman -Suy” did not work. I’m an absolute manjaro beginner (coming from Ubuntu) and I’m still wrapping my head around the differences between pacman, pamac, yay and some others.

• First of all, the i3 version of Manjaro is not an official release, but a community release. :wink: So it may lag a bit behind.

• Secondly, a newly installed system needs to have its mirror list generated first, i.e. :point_down:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syu
  • Thirdly, do not remove your running kernel. Install a new kernel, then reboot into that kernel via the “Advanced Options” entry in the GRUB menu, and only then remove the older kernel.
1 Like

linux65 is no longer supported an you need to work around this.

this can be done in a number of ways - example

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia

then update the system

sudo pacman -Syu

then install linux-nvidia if that is requred

sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia
2 Likes

Already tried pacman-mirrors before I posted this topic. It did not help. I did not try to remove the running kernel, I just wanted to install a new one but that did not work either.

I’m not sure what “pamac upgrade” did, but it worked.

Thank you, next time I’m going to try this. It is a bit confusing to me, mhwd seems to be installing drivers, but pacman, pamac and yay are also able to install drivers. “man mhwd” gives “no manual entry for mhwd”, and “mhwd --help” does not tell too much, just a list of options.

But I can see that “mhwd -r” can be used to remove a driver.

It’s a Manjaro-specific tool. Manjaro Hardware Detection - Manjaro

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.