Cannot update due to dependency break

Hi guys, Im new to manjaro and I want to update my system…
Im running the following command

sudo pacman -Syu

but apparently it give me:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing expat (2.4.7-1) breaks dependency ‘expat=2.4.4’ required by lib32-expat
:: installing qt5-base (5.15.3+kde+r133-1) breaks dependency ‘qt5-base<5.15.3’ required by manjaro-settings-manager

Google dont help me much in this scenario.
Can anybody help me to solve this?
Thanks in advance

1 Like

I think this is the same old problem of your local sync database is not updated to reflect Manjaro’s repositories.

Need to do a pacman-mirrors -f and hopefully you have already done a pacman-mirrors -c or --geoip.

If there are updates pending (pamac checkupdates), you need to update the sync database on your system before actually doing the update. Searching the forum, you’ll see the two commands chained together pacman-mirrors && pacman with the appropriate options specified.

See:

• Pacman-mirrors, see also man pacman-mirrors
  • List of repositories and their current state (similar output as pacman-mirrors).
  • Use branch compare to find out the current version of a package in Stable, Testing, and Unstable.
  • Search this forum for pacman-mirrors
  • Checkout using the pamac GUI
  • Always read the Announcement category of this forum, at least the first entry, before doing any update.
1 Like

Hi…

I have done pacman-mirrors -f then do pamac chekupdates and then run pacman-mirrors && pacman -Syu yet i still got :

looking for conflicting packages…
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing expat (2.4.6-1) breaks dependency ‘expat=2.4.4’ required by lib32-expat

Am i missing something?

you can clear the cache before updating with

sudo pacman -Scc

and redo the update

lib32-expat got not yet updated by Arch. You may want to switch to unstable branch or wait for todays testing update.

1 Like

I had no problems updating from 2.4.4-1 to 2.4.6-1 on 03/08. Where did that 2.4.7 come from that is in the OP output. :thinking:

expat branch compare at this moment in time shows Stable and Testing at 2.4.6-1 and Unstable at 2.4.7-1.

The command @Olli suggested will remove all cached files that reside in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/.

There is a systemd timer, pamac-cleancache, that runs periodically to keep a specified number of packages (systemctl list-timers), but this might be a special case where it would be easier just remove them. Once packages are installed, in a single-user environment, the only purpose they serve is to downgrade to a previous version in the case something breaks in a newer version.

You could in addition issue the command below to check the directory to see if there are any expat 2.4.7 and remove them manually. It would be interesting to know if these files exist.

find /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ -iname '*expat-2.4.7*'

I asume the commands below all show 2.4.4, because we are trying to get you from 2.4.4 to 2.4.6.

pacman -Si expat
pacman -Si lib32-expat
pacman -Qi expat
pacman -Qi lib32-expat

Check out the pacman log to see the history of expat installations.

grep expat /var/log/pacman.log 

What branch are you using? I assumed Stable.

pacman-mirrors --get-branch

There’s the same issue with qt5-base (5.15.3+kde+r133-1), which is the Unstable version, while Stable is at 5.15.2+kde+r302-1.

I’m facing a similar issue, albeit with different versions of the software.

I did a pacman-mirrors --geoip and then a pacman-mirrors -f. The issue persists.

The command yielded no results.

Yup, in my case they all showed 2.4.6-1.

I assume a later set of updates has fixed the issue for me. Looks good now. Thanks!

Got the same problem after fresh install Manjaro GNOME.