Cannot Switch to Most Recent Installed Kernel Via GRUB

You can just install it:

sudo pacman -Syu update-grub

A reboot would be interesting.

It sounds like, given these kernel challenges, as well as the missing commands, I need to do an OS reinstall. If I do that, I will probably do both sides, so that’s something of an undertaking.

I appreciate you guys trying to help, though.

Would be nice at least to reboot, once and to report.

Man, I have rebooted six times since we’ve been typing! However, by installing update-grub and then running the command, it now works! The GRUB menu offered 6.6 and 6.1 and I chose 6.6, so now running on the new kernel.

You both have my eternal thanks, both for the knowledge, but also for the patience and perspicacity!

1 Like

If you do, I recommend using btrfs and enabling timeshift, that way you always have a revert point if an update fails like that again.

But I mean, I am not a huge fan of people reinstalling if things can be fixed. You are booting into it, you could also try to figure out WHAT is wrong, but that would have to be in a different post.
I assume you have not deleted any logs so there are probably ways to help you figure out what went missing if you ask nicely.

As a new user of the forum, maybe you do not know about the solution feature.
Please select the post you think helped you most and press the :white_check_mark: solution button. That way if other people who are having the same problem can quickly find the answer and the thread will be closed after a while.

Happy new year!

1 Like

That’s very nice to hear! Have a good start into the New Year. :grin:

Yeah, I also reinstalled the tree command. But how many other commands are missing and why?? That may be hard to run to ground. In any case, I just dual-boot with linux as a fallback O/S in case something goes wrong with Windows. I try to stay semi-conversant, but obviously, my ability to delve too deeply is limited. For that, I greatly appreciate the support here!

It was probably not part of the install ISO and you never installed it. I don’t have it installed, either.

1 Like

I have a hard time believing the difference was made by the update-grub package.

As all it does is

#! /bin/sh
set -e
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"

# workaround for https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=3cf2e848bc03c44d30bb87e583d12efe7e7ccf75
# if grub is not updated in MBR/EFI dashes still won't work, hence we remove them
sed -i -e '/cryptomount -u/ {s/-//g;s/ u/ -u/g}' /boot/grub/grub.cfg

So, running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg, and rebooting should have produced the same results.

But whatevs.

@cscs, restoring the boot loader and running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg solved it. :wink:

That would make more sense (and then also mean moving the solved tag).

Well, we tried a lot of things…but that was the last thing I tried before rebooting and that changed everything…

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one, so this goes in the ‘win’ column.

I think I moved the ‘solution’ tag to the correct post - can you guys confirm?

Yeah … but the point is that for posterity the correct suggestion is selected.

Your system works? Great.

When some other person comes here with a similar problem … and (re)installs update-grub to no avail … then it would be a loss.

@mxcrowe I hope it’s fine for you that I moved it to the post where both commands have been proposed, otherwise move it if you prefer. :grinning:

Please feel free to modify the thread in whatever way is most effective for future reference.

1 Like

I’m just happy you guys all tried to help and were willing to put up with my lack of expertise. Everyone’s input is appreciated in this success!

Meanwhile, the best post of the day (while not the solution) came when I admitted that the last update was messy and bedna said: “Yeah, you should probably have opened with that…”

That deserves a star!