Cannot play video on certain browsers

This is a fresh installation of minimal Plasma. I have 4 browsers, 2 of them cannot play videos and have the message “To play video, you may need to install the required video codecs.” The two browsers that play video with no problems are Firefox Dev Edition & Librewolf. The two that can’t play any video are Waterfox & Tor Browser.

I’ve already tried using the methods from these three links & nothing has worked.

Attempting to install ffmpeg-compat-59 keeps giving me the same error:

conflicting files:
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.59 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.59.18.100 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavdevice.so.59 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavdevice.so.59.4.100 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavfilter.so.8 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavfilter.so.8.24.100 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavformat.so.59 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavformat.so.59.16.100 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavutil.so.57 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libavutil.so.57.17.100 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libpostproc.so.56 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libpostproc.so.56.3.100 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libswresample.so.4 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libswresample.so.4.3.100 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libswscale.so.6 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)
- ffmpeg-compat-59: /usr/lib/libswscale.so.6.4.100 already exists in filesystem (owned by ffmpeg)

It should go without saying, but I already have the latest version of ffmpeg installed. I cannot figure out why this is even happening.

Thanks in advance.

Why would you do that, replace the ffmpeg from repositories with an AUR package? Is the ffmpeg4.4 installed and did you reboot the system after that?

Because I was doing what the third link (which you clearly didn’t even bother checking) said, since that seemed to be the solution that worked for most people having the same problem as me.

Anyway the point still stands, none of those three methods worked for me and I can’t play video on those two browsers.

DRM is a likely cause

And it appears you have been fidling with make && sudo make install or something similiar - otherwise pacman wouldn’t complain on file conflict

1 Like

:scream: You got me. Should i feel bad about it? I don’t because everything is optional for me here … :joy:

Doubt it, I even tried it out on the USB live environment before installing and I still get the same error, so it’s clearly a problem with Manjaro.

Yeah, you should, because you could’ve answered your own question if you had just checked the links to possible solutions I could find.

I can’t reproduce, so is not Manjaro issue.

If you knew our status about AUR packages, you would know that my question still stands. You probably followed other random suggestions outside this forum before, so only you know what other packages you installed from AUR.

Waterfox is a custom package - unsupported - address the developer(s).

Tor browser is designed for anonymity - not for media playing - address the developer(s).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.