Cannot move files between SMB shared folders with Dolphin

I could just add them to fstab if I wanted no control, and mount them to /media//

There’s a lot things I could have done, actually.

If you add them to fstab the procedure is exactly the same as yours, but instead of calling a script you use sudo mount -a.
Just add auto to the mount options in fstab.

One of the really nice thing about using systemd.mount is that everything gets logged to journalctl, so if something goes wrong, it’s usually very easy to track.

I think you missed the point, The journaling is great, but I can also explicitly umount my shares, by calling another script, when I take my laptop out and about, and explicitly remount them when back at my desk.

I like it my way. I’ve had several iterations of mounting samba shares, across multiple Distros, including the fstab method.

As i said it suits my usecase.

Not at all, I completely understand what your script does.
I posted above how to achieve that with both fstab and systemd, one command to unmount and one to mount.

Thats great!!
Just wanted to clarify that all of that is doable with built in systems without the need for a script.

1 Like

After that major digression, did you get any useful info, that you can appy to your set up?

Could you please clarify @Danny525 because I don’t understand what you mean by that.

Until now I - and likely other members - percieved this as an issue using two separate mounts as per your title

Cannot move files between SMB shared folders with Dolphin

With Linux you don’t always get a fix - but have to learn to work around it - such as scripting.

What if you implement the share as a script - something like @tracyanne mention or something like the script I linked earlier - something you can easily switch on and off as required?

EDIT:
For the sake of completeness - I have tested a setup similar to yours - for obvious reasons I cannot mimic your system.

I created a proof-of-concept samba server from scratch [1] using a full setup with users, permissions - everything needed to mimic an office like setup.

• Using dolpin on my workstation - I made a connection to the service
  • Upon navigating the shared data folder - service requires credentials
  • I provided admin credentials as setup for the service
  • I navigated into the structure /data/public/
  • I created two folders /data/public/folderA and /data/public/folderB
  • I added the folders to the places pane using drag’n drop - folderA and folderB
  • I dropped a file from my system /desktopfs-pkgs.txt onto folderA in the places pane
  • I navigated into folderA and dragged the file desktopfs-pkgs.txt
  • I dropped the file onto folderB in the places pane
Screenshot

During this simple proof-of-concept I have not been able to reproduce the issue described in your initial topic.

I know this comment won’t bring you further to a solution as I have no idea why are having the issue and not being able to reproduce - one is left to speculate …