Cannot login into my account with no password set

Hello!
I just installed Manjaro to do an important data recovery that is currently running.
So during the installation I did not set a password and chose to login automatically, because the system will not be used otherwise.
I then started the recovery and left my pc. When I came back Manjaro logged itself out automatically. Nothing special.
But I can’t login again now. When I press login without entering a password, nothing happens. When I press login and enter a (obv wrong) password, still nothing happens.

How could I possibly fix this issue WITHOUT rebooting. I dont want to shut down my PC during the recovery, because something could fail which leads to dataloss. The recovery can take some hours, but I also can’t see if the recovery even finished, because I can’t login. I’m trapped out, a bad situation.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Recovery of what how?

1 Like

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

We’re now 1 day later, so the recovery should have finished. For the future:

1. Don’t install anything if you want to run a recovery: just boot from USB and use the live environment
  2. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  3. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.
  4. Ctrl+Alt+F2 is your friend! (that brings you to a console where you are unhampered by a GUI.

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time