Cannot login after update

Hi,

Using gnome with nvidia and X11 on Dell XPS 15 9500

After an update I cannot login anymore. gdm opens, I enter the password and instead of opening gnome the screen goes black and re-opens gdm.

with journalctl -xe I can see some errors, not sure if it is related:

dbus-daemon: Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedkestop.home1.sevice': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home1.service not found
gdm-password: pam_systemd_home(gdm-password:auth): systemd-homed is not available: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.home.service not found
gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

I cannot see any other relevant error.

I removed any gnome-shell extension I could find and also moved the .config/dbus/user file.
any idea?

Edit: no issue when I start gnome using startx. This is confusing.
Edit2: If I lock the session I started with startx, I face the same issue when trying to unlock it.

I opened an issue on the gnome tracker with more details: Loops back to gdm when trying to log in (#681) · Issues · GNOME / gdm · GitLab

Problem resolved. /etc/gdm/Xsession loads my ~/.profile file. For some reason, this fails (silently).

Renaming ~/.profile solved the issue. Will need to investigate what fails in this file.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.