Cannot log in to plasma desktop after crash, startplasma-x11 takes all the RAM

How to use startx instead of startplasma-x11?
I mean, startplasma-x11 starts automatically when I log in with sddm.

Finally I have found the issue:

• I have renamed the folder ~/.local/share/mime and I was able to log in!

Unfortunately there is a lot of files in ~/.local/share/mime therefore I didn’t dig deeper to identify the specific file that causes the issue.

Thanks @brahma, @cscs, @Yochanan, I wouldn’t have figured it out without you! :heart_eyes:

Probably ~/.local/share/mime/packages and ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache. There were a couple threads last month that mentioned this; just long enough ago for it to completely slip out of my memory.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2131634#p2131634

Exactly!
I’ve tried placing the mime folder back, while I was logged in. After that I’ve launched Dolphin, the system became unresponsive, the process /usr/bin/plasmashell --no-respawn started a memory leak (Dolphin never opened).

I wonder what in there is the actual problem.

The path is not a requirement for plasma - I dont have it.

Care to share the contents of

ls ~/.local/share/mime/packages

Possibly also

cat ~/.config/mimeapps.list

Sure:

ls ~/.local/share/mime/packages
application-pkcs12.xml
application-vnd.sun.xml.base.xml
application-x-pkcs12.xml
application-x-pkcs7-certificates.xml
application-x-x509-ca-cert.xml
user-extension-html.xml
user-extension-htm.xml
user-extension-shtml.xml
user-extension-xhtml.xml
user-extension-xht.xml
video-mpeg.xml
x-wine-extension-cpl.xml
x-wine-extension-dll.xml
x-wine-extension-htc.xml
x-wine-extension-inf.xml
x-wine-extension-ini.xml
x-wine-extension-its.xml
x-wine-extension-jfif.xml
x-wine-extension-msp.xml
~/.config/mimeapps.list
[Added Associations]
application/pdf=okularApplication_pdf.desktop;firefox.desktop;libreoffice-draw.desktop;org.inkscape.Inkscape.desktop;gimp.desktop;
application/x-bittorrent=org.qbittorrent.qBittorrent.desktop;
application/x-cue=audacious.desktop;
application/x-extension-htm=firefox.desktop;
application/x-extension-html=firefox.desktop;
application/x-extension-shtml=firefox.desktop;
application/x-extension-xht=firefox.desktop;
application/x-extension-xhtml=firefox.desktop;
application/x-ms-shortcut=code.desktop;wine.desktop;org.kde.kdeconnect_open.desktop;
application/x-mswinurl=firefox.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;ghostwriter.desktop;vim.desktop;wine-extension-txt.desktop;visual-studio-code.desktop;wine-extension-url.desktop;
application/x-trash=code.desktop;
application/xhtml+xml=code.desktop;firefox.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;wine-extension-txt.desktop;vim.desktop;org.kde.kwrite.desktop;chromium.desktop;gvim.desktop;org.kde.kdeconnect_open.desktop;
application/xml=code.desktop;firefox.desktop;chromium.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;vim.desktop;org.kde.kwrite.desktop;gvim.desktop;org.kde.kdeconnect_open.desktop;
application/xslt+xml=code.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;vim.desktop;org.kde.kwrite.desktop;chromium.desktop;firefox.desktop;gvim.desktop;org.kde.kdeconnect_open.desktop;
application/xspf+xml=audacious.desktop;org.shotcut.Shotcut.desktop;vlc.desktop;code.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;vim.desktop;org.kde.kwrite.desktop;chromium.desktop;firefox.desktop;gvim.desktop;org.kde.kdeconnect_open.desktop;
audio/flac=audacious.desktop;
audio/mpeg=audacious.desktop;
audio/x-ape=audacious.desktop;
audio/x-mpegurl=audacious.desktop;mpv.desktop;org.kde.elisa.desktop;vlc.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;vim.desktop;visual-studio-code.desktop;ghostwriter.desktop;wine-extension-txt.desktop;
audio/x-opus+ogg=audacious.desktop;
image/heif=org.kde.gwenview.desktop;
image/jpeg=org.kde.gwenview.desktop;gimp.desktop;pinta.desktop;org.inkscape.Inkscape.desktop;okularApplication_kimgio.desktop;
image/png=org.kde.gwenview.desktop;firefox.desktop;gimp.desktop;pinta.desktop;org.inkscape.Inkscape.desktop;okularApplication_kimgio.desktop;
image/svg+xml=org.inkscape.Inkscape.desktop;org.kde.gwenview.desktop;code.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;gimp.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;org.kde.kwrite.desktop;firefox.desktop;
image/x-xcf=gimp.desktop;
text/html=firefox.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;ghostwriter.desktop;wine-extension-txt.desktop;visual-studio-code.desktop;vim.desktop;
text/markdown=code.desktop;visual-studio-code.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;
text/plain=code.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;vim.desktop;org.kde.kwrite.desktop;
text/x.gcode=code.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;vim.desktop;org.kde.kwrite.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;libreoffice-writer.desktop;
video/mp4=mpv.desktop;no.mifi.losslesscut.desktop;fr.handbrake.ghb.desktop;org.kde.kdenlive.desktop;vlc.desktop;org.kde.kdeconnect_open.desktop;
video/quicktime=mpv.desktop;
video/webm=mpv.desktop;
video/x-matroska=mpv.desktop;
video/x-mjpeg=org.kde.gwenview.desktop;gimp.desktop;pinta.desktop;org.inkscape.Inkscape.desktop;okularApplication_kimgio.desktop;
video/x-msvideo=mpv.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/chrome=firefox.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/tg=userapp-Telegram Desktop-1I5XG1.desktop;org.telegram.desktop.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/obsidian=appimagekit_f6eaeb162c16ccbba84f09773e03429a-Obsidian.desktop;obsidian.desktop;appimagekit_8d89daed2f55fdad388e63894537fa0a-Obsidian.desktop;

[Default Applications]
application/pdf=okularApplication_pdf.desktop;
application/x-cue=audacious.desktop;
application/x-extension-htm=firefox.desktop
application/x-extension-html=firefox.desktop
application/x-extension-shtml=firefox.desktop
application/x-extension-xht=firefox.desktop
application/x-extension-xhtml=firefox.desktop
application/x-ms-shortcut=code.desktop;
application/x-mswinurl=firefox.desktop;
application/x-trash=code.desktop;
application/xhtml+xml=code.desktop;
application/xml=code.desktop;
application/xslt+xml=code.desktop;
application/xspf+xml=audacious.desktop;
audio/flac=audacious.desktop;
audio/mpeg=audacious.desktop;
audio/x-ape=audacious.desktop;
audio/x-mpegurl=audacious.desktop;
audio/x-opus+ogg=audacious.desktop;
image/heif=org.kde.gwenview.desktop;
image/jpeg=org.kde.gwenview.desktop;
image/png=org.kde.gwenview.desktop;
image/svg+xml=org.inkscape.Inkscape.desktop;
image/x-xcf=gimp.desktop;
text/html=firefox.desktop
text/markdown=code.desktop;
text/plain=code.desktop;
text/x.gcode=code.desktop;
video/mp4=mpv.desktop;
video/quicktime=mpv.desktop;
video/webm=mpv.desktop;
video/x-matroska=mpv.desktop;
video/x-mjpeg=org.kde.gwenview.desktop;
video/x-msvideo=mpv.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/chrome=firefox.desktop
x-scheme-handler/etcher=balena-etcher-electron.desktop
x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop
x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop
x-scheme-handler/obsidian=appimagekit_f6eaeb162c16ccbba84f09773e03429a-Obsidian.desktop
x-scheme-handler/tg=org.telegram.desktop.desktop
x-scheme-handler/nc=com.nextcloud.desktopclient.nextcloud.desktop

[Removed Associations]
application/pdf=wine-extension-pdf.desktop;
application/xhtml+xml=wine-extension-xml.desktop;
application/xml=wine-extension-xml.desktop;
application/xslt+xml=wine-extension-xml.desktop;
application/xspf+xml=wine-extension-xml.desktop;
image/jpeg=wine-extension-jfif.desktop;wine-extension-jpe.desktop;
image/png=wine-extension-png.desktop;chromium.desktop;
image/svg+xml=pinta.desktop;okularApplication_txt.desktop;vim.desktop;wine-extension-xml.desktop;
text/html=wine-extension-htm.desktop;
text/plain=wine-extension-txt.desktop;
text/x.gcode=wine-extension-txt.desktop;
video/mp4=org.shotcut.Shotcut.desktop;
video/x-mjpeg=wine-extension-jfif.desktop;wine-extension-jpe.desktop;

Ah they are big. :sweat_smile:

Going by the possible relation to appimage, and the simple fact the other lines are mostly comprised of recognizable values like https and firefox.desktop … I might look at these bits.

I’m not sure that’s related.
I mean, I use the same mimeapps.list as before, it’s only the mime folder that caused the problems.
The Obsidian has been installed quite some time ago.

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.