Cannot install nvme-cli source from command line with "make && make install" - Error 1 (MJ 18.0.4 KDE Live-Session)

Good morning @ everyone,

My new hardware is assembled and set up - including a brand-new NVMe-SSD and a new HDD. Before installing any OS, I want to sterilize both drives (that is, making sure that there really is no malware or trojan or [whatever that s*** is called] is pre-installed on them) by wiping them completely empty.

I already performed badblocks and ATA Secure Erase on the HDD - I did not have the courage to perform "SANITIZE Overwrite", because it appears to be more dangerous than the former command.

Now, I want to do the same with the SSD, but because it's a NVMe/PCIe drive, I cannot use neither ATA SE/ESE nor "SANITIZE Block Erase" commands on it, because those are for SATA-based devices (HDDs, SSDs) only - I have to use nvme-cli instead.

I can get nvme-cli either by fetching it from AUR repository via command line or by installing it directly from it's source files via command line. Because I don't want to expose my brand-new PC to the Internet (that I'll do after the OS is installed), I decided for the latter method.

So, I gathered the nvme-cli source from here as .zip file ("nvme-cli-master.zip"), placed it on external media, inserted the external drive into my NEW computer and copied the afore-mentioned .zip to home/manjaro/Downloads, unpacked it to a folder with the same name ("nvme-cli-master") in the same directory, opened up the Terminal, logged myself as Superuser and directed the path to the root of the unpacked folder (cd home/manjaro/Downloads/nvme-cli-master).

Important note: Manjaro is run as live-session from DVD without being installed to a physical drive (yet).

According to the readme file, simply running make && make install is really enough to install nvme-cli from source. So, I typed "make && make install" (without quotes) in the terminal and hit Enter.

In the beginning, the command seemed to work and nvme-cli appeared to be compiled, but eventually, terminal returned an error message at the end:

(I translate the error message from German to English as good as I can)

Error: Output of >>%s<<-Directive could be cut off, while writing of up to 259 Bytes into a region between 255 and 514 in size [-Werror=format-truncation=]

make: *** [Makefile:59: plugins/netapp/netapp-nvme.o] Error 1

(the above text is an exerpt only! I didn't write down the entire message output, only the passages I perceived to be important or relevant)

Hope, someone can walk me through...

T.S.O.M.

If your main pc have m.2 mobo. Used that. Then compile from the AUR. Other wise, just grab supported distro that have it in its repo. Like Fedora. Nuke it from Fedora live iso. Then reinstall manjaro iso back on to your usb flash drive.
But if you really need to do it from manjaro live iso. your going have to mount the nvme with a supported partition file system like ext4. Set aur or git to nvme. Then you can try install it. The error is talking about not having any space to work with. Live iso have very small temp space to used. Normally around 10 to 150MB for temp. You can test with: df -Th
See what tmpfs. see if one of them is filled up. It will look something like this.

tmpfs tmpfs 100M 100M 100M 100%

Just see what tmpfs under Used and Use% are at.

Are you talking about the actual erase operation itself? Because I didn't even got that far - I couldn't install nvme-cli.

About space: do you mean memory or storage? Since we're talking about a Live-Session, the former would come into my mind - but I have 16GB RAM and 4GB VRAM; memory shouldn't be a problem for this setup...

T.S.O.M.

Just run: df -Th in the terminal. w/e tmpfs is being filed up. Is the problem. Live iso used tmpfs for it temp memory. And it a very small amount compare to a already linux install.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/tmpfs

You could just use shred or dd to remove any data on the drive.

That's useless for SSDs or any other Flash-based media. Overwrite is reliable for HDDs only. ATA Secure Erase or "SANITIZE Block Erase" for SSDs works in a different way - instead of overwriting the drive, the SE/SANITIZE command tells the SSD to reset or block erase all it's cells, thus "zeroing" the SSD to "factory zero".

By doing this, the entire SSD is wiped off data (of course, assuming really all cells of the SSD were reset as advertised - I wouldn't really trust that!). Factory-zeroing a SSD is not only important for security concerns, but also for performance, because it will restore it's performance to it's original factory-fresh state.

T.S.O.M.

Update:

I've installed Manjaro on my HDD (Calamares, UEFI installation, HDD formatted with GPT partition table and ext4 filesystem) with the same DVD that I used for live sessions. Once that was done, I started Manjaro from HDD (without DVD) this time and tried again to install nvme-cli: First, I unpacked "nvme-cli-master.zip" to home/[Username]/Downloads/ and then I opened up command line, logged in as root and first typed this:

cd home/[Username]/Downloads/nvme-cli-master

Now, command line was projected to the root of the folder "nvme-cli-master", where the makefiles reside. Finally, I typed the following command and hit Enter:

make && make install

Result: The exact same error like described in my starting post occured again and I couldn't install nvme-cli once more! So, it's very likely that it has nothing to do with live session - the cause must be something else...

Folks, I need to get this accomplished - offline! No internet connection/updates before both SSD and HDD are sterilized...

Looking forward for help,

T.S.O.M.

I ran 'make' with no issue.

But, your command should've been:

make && sudo make install

But, why compile like a barbarian, when this is in the AUR. I installed it from there previously, and have had no problems.

To clean your SSD, simply use the command blkdiscard.
Or, if available, an ISO containing the manufacturer's cleaning tool.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark