Cannot install new Kernel: installing nvidia-utils (535.98-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=535.54.03' required by linux63-nvidia

I’m running Linux63 but cannot update the Kernel (sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux64) nor can I run “sudo pacman -Syy”, because I get this errror error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (535.98-1) breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils=535.54.03’ required by linux63-nvidia.
I got this same error with other dependencies but could remove them with sudo pacman -Rdd.
I tried fixing it with this thread: Installing nvidia-utils (535.54.03-1) breaks dependency but couldnt get it to work.
Any Ideas?

Hi @Clemens,

You seem to not have updated for quite some time, and seeing as Manjaro is a rolling-release, that will cause problems. As you are experiencing here.

I think you need to update from a chroot environment:

To enter a chroot environment

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot environment:

manjaro-chroot -a

If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

If sucessfully done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart and can cause damage.

From within the chroot environment, remove the old kernel:

mhwd-kernel --remove linux63

Install a new, LTS kernel:

mhwd-kernel --install linux61

Install all updates/packages it asks for during the process. Remember to merge the .pacnew files after the update and then reboot and see if it worked.

2 Likes

When you get errors like this - you may succeed be appending rmc (remove current kernel)

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux64 rmc

If you are informed your system is generally not up-to-date and you have the option of cancelling - you should continue the kernel install.

After the successful kernel install - run a system sync

sudo pacman -Syu

If the above fails for some reason you can remove the nvidia drivers

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia

Remove obsolete kernels

sudo pacman -Rns linux510 linux515 linux63

Then sync the system adding linux64, then reinstall the nvidia drivers

sudo pacman -Syu linux64
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia
2 Likes

that does not work, he wants the nvidia dependencies:

:: Synchronising package databases...
  core                                                145.7 KiB   425 KiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100%
  extra                                                 8.6 MiB  6.49 MiB/s 00:01 [##############################################] 100%
  community                                            29.0   B  1450   B/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100%
  multilib                                            146.8 KiB  3.58 MiB/s 00:00 [##############################################] 100%
 The following packages are out of date, please update your system first: abseil-cpp......... xdg-desktop-portal-kde xfconf xfsprogs xxhash xz yay zimg zsh-history-substring-search 
 Do you want to continue anyway? [y/N] y
 resolving dependencies...
 looking for conflicting packages...
 error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
 :: installing nvidia-utils (535.98-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=535.54.03' required by lib32-nvidia-utils
 :: installing nvidia-utils (535.98-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=535.54.03' required by linux510-nvidia
 :: installing nvidia-utils (535.98-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=535.54.03' required by linux515-nvidia
 :: installing nvidia-utils (535.98-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=535.54.03' required by linux61-nvidia
 :: installing nvidia-utils (535.98-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=535.54.03' required by linux63-nvidia

Error: 'rmc' aborted because the kernel failed to install or canceled on removal.

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

You have several kernels - this complicates your attempts

remove the nvidia drivers as described

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as descrribed above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

Please edit your post accordingly.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

> Removing video-nvidia...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing libxnvctrl breaks dependency 'libxnvctrl' required by conky-lua-nv
:: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils' required by cuda
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

The Iso is almost done downloading should I follow the Instructions from above?

Then remove those as well

sudo pacman -Rns conky-lua-nv cuda

I have installed the new Kernel now and I’m updating in the moment.
When I am done I will run these Commands correct?

sudo pacman -Syu linux64
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia
1 Like

Rather use an LTS kernel:

sudo mhwd-kernel --install linux61

And remember to reinstall all the packages you removed.

1 Like

Yes - the first only if you didn’t include it with the update command.

The packages conky-lua-nv and cuda you should only reinstall if you explicity know you need them.

Linux 6.4 is the latest stable kernel - linux 6.1 the latest LTS - but you already have 6.1 so you don’t need to reinstall it.

1 Like

It has worked perfectly!
Thank you very much for the deatiled help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.