Cannot install manjaro-pipewire

But if I do not uninstall pulseaudio I cannot install manjaro-pipewire

Is this KDE’s fault?

Not true.
edit: Installing manjaro-pipewire will replace pulseaudio (via dependency pipewire-pulse conficting with it).

No.

sudo pacman -S manjaro-pipewire                                                                                     1 ✘  9s  
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: manjaro-pipewire and manjaro-pulse are in conflict. Remove manjaro-pulse? [y/N] y
:: manjaro-pipewire and pulseaudio-lirc are in conflict. Remove pulseaudio-lirc? [y/N] y
:: manjaro-pipewire and pulseaudio-rtp are in conflict. Remove pulseaudio-rtp? [y/N] y
:: manjaro-pipewire and pulseaudio-zeroconf are in conflict. Remove pulseaudio-zeroconf? [y/N] y
:: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict. Remove pulseaudio? [y/N] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: pipewire-pulse and pulseaudio are in conflict

If I do not uninstall pulseaudio I cannot install manjaro-pipewire

Most PulseAudio packages cannot be uninstalled because of KDE dependencies
there are previous posts on here that show what happens when this has been attempted
but manjaro-pipewire can replace pulseaudio packages without dependency problems

It doesn’t conflicts with pulseaudio-jack

Remove pulseaudio → Yes

Go with:

sudo pacman -S manjaro-pipewire pipewire-jack

Since pipewire-jack is optional, and you have pulseaudio-jack installed which need to be replaced too

It doesn’t need to, it’s an optional dependency.

What you quoted from @Firestar’s post was after they removed pulseaudio-jack.

The dependency can be optional, the conflicts no

1 Like

One is responsible for managing their own packages. If one installs pulseaudio-jack themselves because they need it, one can also remove it and install pipewire-jack themselves if they need it.

Our meta packages are helpers, not magic wands that do everything for the user.

I removed pulseaudio and installed manjaro-pipewire, nothing wrong

but:

Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)

dont know present status, but the following got my setup converted from pulesaudio to pipewire with no fuss;

Now I still have:

lib32-libpulse
libpulse
pipewire-pulse
pulseaudio-alsa
pulseaudio-ctl
pulseaudio-qt

but no pulseaudio

So I can remove these except pipewire-pulse?

Update

removed pulseaudio-alsa and pulseaudio-ctl

now:

Default ALSA Output (currently PipeWire Media Server)

Basically, what you need to do is :

Remove every single package beginning with “pulseaudio”, then install manjaro-pipewire.
I did that recently on a fresh installation, that’s it.

Regarding Jack2 issue, here is below what @philm wrote on the Announcement section :

Pipewire tend to replace all stuff related to Audio. This time jack2 seems to create issues. In the past pipewire-jack provided jack2. However, since the lack of dbus support that line got removed and only conflicts kept. So if you use jack2 with the dbus feature, you may want to remove the pipewire-jack package. If not you can continue and additionally install lib32-pipewire-jack package.

Personally, when i installed manjaro-pipewire after uninstalled all pulseaudio* stuff, jack2 was not replaced by pipewire-jack, and it’s fine for my needs.

m2c

The major point is that no sound icon is fixed.

That actually shouldn’t be left over. Install pipewire-alsa and remove pulseaudio-alsa.

I’ve made some changes with manjaro-pulse / manjaro-pipewire 20220217-1 so that won’t happen in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

There is a weird thing now. I found that what causes the no-sound-icon bug is that plasma-pa is uninstalled when uninstalling pulseaudio

In fact, although plasma-pa is Plasma applet for audio volume management using PulseAudio, it can work with pipewire and without pulseaudio.

the current solution is:

sudo pacman -R manjaro-pulse
sudo pacman -R pulseaudio-alsa pulseaudio-bluetooth pulseaudio-ctl pulseaudio-lirc pulseaudio-rtp pulseaudio-zeroconf
sudo pacman -R plasma-pa
sudo pacman -R pulseaudio
sudo pacman -S manjaro-pipewire
sudo pacman -S plasma-pa

So I am thinking that if the dependency needs to change a bit?

Update solution

sudo pacman -R manjaro-pulse
sudo pacman -R pulseaudio-alsa pulseaudio-bluetooth pulseaudio-ctl pulseaudio-zeroconf
sudo pacman -R plasma-pa
sudo pacman -R pulseaudio
sudo pacman -S manjaro-pipewire
sudo pacman -S plasma-pa
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.