Cannot connect to iPhone hotspot

Hello, I’m trying to connect to my iPhone’s hotspot via usb as I’m away from home and don’t have any Ethernet/internet. Usually I don’t have any issues, but sometimes it just won’t connect.
Attempting to activate the USB connection through nmtui shows:

Could not activate connection: Connection 'Wired Connection 1' is not available on device enp0s26u1u3c4i2 because device has no carrier

Running ip addr shows:

1. lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc  noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
        valid_ltf forever preferred_ltf forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
        valid_ltf forever prefered_ltf forever
2: enp0s26u1u3c4i2: <NO_CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 9e:f4:8e:04:8b:15 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

This is a little ambiguous
because:
a Hotspot connection is a wireless connection
and you want to use USB
… which is commonly called “tethering” - as there is a physical tether (the cable)

This usually shows up as an ethernet connection in linux

… you can connect your cable - to keep the phone charged while it is providing a wireless hotspot to which you can connect … via wifi :wink:

cave:
I do not have any experience with apple (Iphone) devices

I’m frequently stumped and even lost when I’m forced to use them :wink:

On Android, you have to enable USB tethering before you can use it - it’s probably similar with an IPhone - but I can’t say for sure, much less how …

Did you actively enable USB tethering - or do you assume it will just work once a USB cable is plugged in?
It likely won’t …