Cannot access nvidia-455xx after the 5.10 kernel update

Hi, before this update temporarily broke my system, I used 455xx proprietary drivers, and they worked well. Now, in System Settings under Hardware Configuration, I cannot see the option anymore. Auto Install installs video-hybrid-intil-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee which gives very poor performance.

I’m still a bit of a newbie, how can I enable the appropriate drivers?

Try this:

And then check if it’s available again in the hardware config.

2 Likes

I have the same issue and this doesn’t work. Could it be that old installed Kernels that are only compatible with 390xx prevent the system from recommending 455xx? I read something along these lines but can’t find the thread anymore.

I’ve currently got 4.19, 5.4 and lately running on 5.9

Not ready yet to remove 4.19 and 5.4 to try this out :thinking:

I’d assume they are available on those kernels.
What does hw config show? Maybe reboot and check again.

Maybe I was jumping to conclusions actually? mhwd -l gave me video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee AND video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime (and free drivers) for the Intel+nvidia chip. But what is video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime ?? In live-boot I get video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-455xx-prime instead! Anyways, I opened a separate topic Xorg errors with notebook dedicated/builtin graphics, don’t want to compromise this one.

@mozzribo what does sudo pacman -S mhwd-db and then mhwd -l give you?

That is the 455 one. It is a rolling driver now.
There is only the 390 and that one left.

Please read the stable announcement 2020-12-30.

Thanks again for Your help. This did it.

I’ll note that I couldn’t remove Bumblebee and update it to the rolling driver (there was a dependency error). I had to restore the state of the system with Timeshift to before the update, update the system (and reinstall the Kernel before rebooting), reboot, then reinstall mhwd-nvidia and choose the rolling driver.

Hey, do You still need this info or is the matter settled for You as well?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.