[Solved] Can not mount partition to manjaro-chroot from live-usb

Hi! Due to my Notebook having a power outage during an update, I was getting:

error: file /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64 not found
error: you need to load the kernel first.

After investigating I figured to look into ls and ls /boot yields:

efi/ grub/ memtest86+/ linux419-x86_64.kver intel-ucode.img linux54-x86_64.kver

No idea what these .kver files are all about, but the both my 5.4 and 4.19 kernel links arenā€™t here as expected.
After some more investigation I decided to go with a live USB and manjaro-chroot to fix the issue. Since Iā€™ve got encryption for all partitions except the UEFI Fat32 partitions (one for Windows, one Grub/Manjaro) I ran into some more issues that Iā€™d appreciate help with. I went as follows:

1. Enable UEFI only boot and disabled csm in my bios
  2. Live boot of Manjaro via UEFI boot loader
  3. Via sudo gparted ā€œopen encryptionā€ on my Manjaro / partition /dev/nvme0n1p6
  4. sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/nvme0n1p6 /mnt which is where I am stuck:

mount: /mnt: /dev/nvme0n1p6 already mounted or mount point busy.

My investigation on this issue yielded multiple suggestions, I unsuccessfully tried the following and more for the last couple of hours:

• Booting live-usb via UEFI only (I didnā€™t do this at first) but it didnā€™t solve the issue.
  • Trying to mount via Gparted (doesnā€™t work, option to mount there is disabled/grayed out)
  • lsof | grep nvme0n1p6 shows nothing. so it seems the mount point is in fact not busy.
  • sudo umount /dev/nvme* lists me all the partitoins and says neither of them is currently mounted.

Any idea how I can get the partition mounted to get into manjaro-chroot? Thank you, any help is appreciated!

Hereā€™s some more relevant info:

$ sudo manjaro-chroot -a
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1.  Check your device.map.
==> ERROR: You can't mount 0!

and

$ lsblk -f 
NAME                FSTYPE      FSVER            LABEL             UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
loop0               squashfs    4.0                                                                           0   100% /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1               squashfs    4.0                                                                           0   100% /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2               squashfs    4.0                                                                           0   100% /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3               squashfs    4.0                                                                           0   100% /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda                 iso9660     Joliet Extension MANJARO_XFCEM_202 2020-12-03-12-24-42-00                     0   100% /run/miso/bootmnt
ā”œā”€sda1              iso9660     Joliet Extension MANJARO_XFCEM_202 2020-12-03-12-24-42-00                              
ā””ā”€sda2              vfat        FAT12            MISO_EFI          83D8-49E4                                           
nvme0n1                                                                                                                
ā”œā”€nvme0n1p1         vfat        FAT32            SYSTEM            CC3B-A8C8                                           
ā”œā”€nvme0n1p2                                                                                                            
ā”œā”€nvme0n1p3         ntfs                         Windows           DC9E40739E4047EA                                    
ā”œā”€nvme0n1p4         vfat        FAT32                              FBD1-A561                                           
ā”œā”€nvme0n1p5         crypto_LUKS 1                                  b6d6e87f-cb0d-40f9-965c-7b2527f8dd99                
ā”œā”€nvme0n1p6         crypto_LUKS 1                                  22b307b9-3559-4496-b6f5-bdf2050e8c58                
ā”‚ ā””ā”€nvme0n1p6_crypt ext4        1.0                                b328a288-78d7-4f9f-a717-653a61aae6a7                
ā”œā”€nvme0n1p7         crypto_LUKS 1                                  a4e15206-0f62-4fc0-a329-1af923499443                
ā””ā”€nvme0n1p9         ntfs                         WinRE_DRV         46A4414CA4414023      

nvme0n1p6 is the only partition I decrypted via Gparted since that should be my Manjaroā€™s / which Iā€™d like to mount to use with manjaro-chroot. I successfully mounted and unmounted nvme0n1p4 which is the UEFI Fat32 partition, but that doesnā€™t help.

1 Like

If you start from scratch on the live-usb:

su
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/nvme0n1p6  nvme0n1p6_crypt 
mount /dev/mapper/nvme0n1p6_crypt  /mnt
mount /dev/nvme0n1p4  /mnt/boot/efi
manjaro-chroot /mnt

when youā€™re finished, unmount in this order:

umount /mnt/boot/efi
umount /mnt
2 Likes

Thank you so much flipper, /dev/mapper is exactly the missing part here that I wasnā€™t aware of :sweat_smile:, also thanks for mount /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt/boot/efi, I am finally able to manjaro-chroot.

I am trying pacman -Sy linux54 now and naturally get

error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
error: could not lock database: File exists
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

as my machine got a power outage during an update.

Going with pacman -Qkk I get lots of warnings.

What would be the recommended course of action in this case? Simply go ahead and delete db.lck and run pacman -S?

yes, itā€™s safe to remove the lock file if no other update/install instance is running

Great progress, I re-installed my kernels and am finally able to progress in the booting of my original Manjaro installation. But now I am getting

[FAILED] Failed to start light display manager.

I guess the failed update damaged more stuff, but I also ran pacman -Syyu already. Perhaps related to the latest Nvidia issues? Probably not though. Will investigate later, got to head out for now.

Here is a nice read for you: šŸ‘©ā€šŸ«[HowTo] Boot without a password for encrypted root partition
You donā€™t need to use the passwordless boot functionality described in there, but it will explain some info for you in future :wink:

Yes, probably a videodriver issue.
Give the output of:

inxi -G
mhwd -li -d
$ inxi -G
$ mhwd -li -d
NAME:        video-linux
ATACHED:     PCI
VERSION:     2018.05.04
INFO:        Standard open source drivers.
PRIORITY:    2
FREEDRIVER:  true
DEPENDS:     -
CONFLICTS:   -
CASSIDS:     0300 0380 0302
VENDORIDS:   1002 8086 10de

I am actually no longer getting [FAILED] Failed to start light display manager. But booting simply gets stuck. Doing it without the quiet grub option, the last thing I see is [ OK ] Started hostname Service. Using the TTY, sudo journalctl reveals a couple of things:

kernel: proc: Bad value for 'hidepid'
bumblebeed[977]: Module 'nvidia' is not found.
bumblebeed.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'

And then

systemd-coredump[1707]: Process 1704 (lightdm-gtk-gre) of user 620 dumped core.
                        Stack trace of thread 1704:
                        #0  0x00007f733c1a1693 memset (ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 + 0x22693)
                        #1 ...
systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

After that we get a systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at ... multiple times with the above lightdm stack trace inbetween each try.

Sorry for any typos, I typed this manually from some pics I took with the phone. I could upload them but not sure thereā€™s anything else interesting.

Trying sudo lightdm ā€“-test-mode --debug next I guess. Not sure itā€™s related to Nvidia, I think Iā€™ve actually been using my integrated Intel graphics card before, dedicated graphics is Nvidia Quadro P2000 Max-Q.

looks like no nvidia driver is installed, youā€™re running on a laptop?

Doesnā€™t inxi -G give any output? Maybe youā€™ll have to install inxi, otherwise weā€™ll never know which driver youā€™ll need.

Also, fixing the graphic part, is not my best, but I try :slight_smile:

Yes, weirdly inxi -G gives no output at all. pacman -Sy inxi complained about existing files, they donā€™t belong to any installed package acording to pacman -Qo inxi though, so I deleted and installed inxi again from within the live-usbā€™s chroot.

Now inxi -G gives

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GP107GLM [Quadro P2000 Mobile] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server X.org 1.20.10 driver: intel  

If I do the same using the live-usb (I chose the open source drivers option), the last two lines change:

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: modesetting s-res: 1920x1080 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics P630 (CFL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.3 

Not sure whether bumblebee came with Manjaro, perhaps I installed it at some point. Doesnā€™t seem to be part of the live-usb, although it apparently has both drivers (intel,nouveau) but probably doesnā€™t support Nvidia optimius (graphics hot-swapping) by default but rather via some command I assume. I guess I chose the proprietary (non-ope source) graphic drivers when installing Manjaro which might be powered by bumblebee.

lightdm ā€“-test-mode --debug wasnā€™t helpful at all, it just gets me stuck in the loader.

mhwd -l gives me

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:1cba) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2020.11.30               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2020.11.30               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2020.11.30               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-390xx            2020.11.30               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:3e94) Display controller Intel Corporation:
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2020.11.30               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee            2020.11.30               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

I tried sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee and it failed, pacman indicating that it already exists in my filesystem just like it did with inxi.

I also noticed that I canā€™t run e.g. vim, nothing happens, like with inxi before I deleted files and reinstalled itā€¦ I suspect that some packages are still in some kind of corrupted state due to the crash during the system updateā€¦ Does that make any sense? If thatā€™s right, then fixing these corruptions somehow should also fix all my boot issues.

Itā€™s maybe not a bad idea reinstalling all packages again, you can do that with:

sudo pacman -Syu $(pacman -Qqen)

for AUR packages, Iā€™m not sure maybe this could work

yay -Syu $(pacman -Qqem)

Do you still need to chroot into your install or can you get into terminal using ctrl+alt+F3

PS:
Also I think it would be a good idea, updating the topic title [UPDATE] to the need of installing your nvidia drivers

Yes, I was looking into that but I get tons of

<package-name>: <file> exists in filesystem

It seems adding --overwrite "*" did the trick now. Not sure about AUR, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ve got any essential packages there.

So, now mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee also succeeded :grinning:

> Successfully installed video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-390xx-bumblebee

I can get into terminal since I sucessfully chrooted. But doing it from the live-usb is a bit more convenient really (wifi running, web browser to check stuffā€¦)

Yes, I think Iā€™ll open a new topic and mark this as solved if I still need help with graphic drivers. But I am also thinkink about just re-installing Manjaro, just not sure how complex it would be to do that within my current encryption setup and then mounting /home which Iā€™ve got on a separate partition nvme0n1p7 :thinking:

1 Like

Opened a new topic Booting ā€œModule ā€˜nvidiaā€ is not foundā€ and lightdm issues for the graphics card issue. I am still getting the errors after installing the driver via mhwd -i.

Thank you again for all the help so far flipper :bowing_man::bowing_man::bowing_man:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.