Can not directly boot to my fresh manjaro install

So I just installed Manjaro alongside my windows 10 install on the same drive in UEFI mode.

Right after the install I confirmed with efibootmgr that Manjaro entry exists, rebooted and then in my bios there’s no Manjaro entry. So I can only get into my install via the Manjaro livecd by doing:

grub> search.file /etc/manjaro-release  root
grub> configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

then it boots into my installations grub, there are all the entries that there should be, Manjaro one and Windows 10 one. I then can boot into my install. If I do efiboomgr command, there’s no Manjaro entry just like in my bios. From there I tried to repair my grub by installing it again on the 1GB fat32 partition /dev/sdb5 that I created previously during my manjaro install, update the grub config; no errors at all, then I check the my boot entries with efibootmgr again, there’s the Manjaro entry, I then tried setting the boot order so the manjaro would go first, windows second (manjaro id is 0007, windows’ 0000). I reboot and my bios still does not see the Manjaro entry and after booting back to my install via the instalation media and listing the boot entries with efibootmgr, the previoisly installed Manjaro entry is missing.

The partition does have mount point set to /boot/efi, I disabled hybrid sleep and fast start up in windows 10 before installing Manjaro. I am unsure what could be causing that. I have myself installed arch and gentoo before with no issues like that.

Have you tried updating grub?

Boot back into manjaro. Open a terminal & use sudo update-grub

I did update grub everytime, tried bot update-grub command and grubconfig -o /etc/grub/grub.cfg

I have wiped the Manjaro install, installed arch on it because I thought the installer could be buggy… I have the exact same problem with arch linux. The grub entry in the bios only stays untill the next reboot. As if efibootmgr could not make persistent changes to the Boot Order. Also tried kubuntu which does get installed. I’m confused by this, I have installed arch/gentoo many times this way and it has always worked.

note: Im installing arch with windows 10 on the same solid state drive.

I have searched through the bios settings, disabled secure boot and could not find anything that would be relevant to disabling linux bootloaders.

Are you using the same EFI partition than Windows? Some motherboards and buggy UEFIs are picky about that. At least try it.

Also double check that Secure Boot is disabled. I saw one case where the UEFI/BIOS was a little confusing and user thought it was disabled when actually it wasn’t.

Finally, once I saw this is in Arch wiki, maybe it can help in this case: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - ArchWiki

I have not touched the windows EFI partition (I mean the one 100MB thats created upon installing windows) I instead created a seperate 1G EFI partition for my linux install, os-prober managed to detect the windows bootloader and add it to grub menu.

So you mean I should install grub on the 100 MB windows partition?

I rechecked it, secured boot is disabled, with it on I would not be able to boot into install arch iso, right?

Yes, I mean that. You can reinstall grub in that partition from the live USB installation media (chrooted) or you can reinstall Manjaro using that partition as EFI (but WITHOUT formatting it!!)

There seems to be a bug when installing in manual mode in UEFI. EFI partition flags are not set correctly. Maybe this is affecting you? Can you check the flags?