Starting full system upgrade...there's nothing to do

Hi all,
I thing that I have just wrecked my system.
When I try to update I get the message “Starting full system upgrade…there’s nothing to do”.
That happened after an update where accidentally i deleted the /var/lib/pacman/db.lck file.
I then tried to update again and got the message Synchronizing package databases…unable to lock database and a solution I found online was to delete the pacman/db.lck…which does not exist!
rm: cannot remove ‘/var/lib/pacman/db.lck’: No such file or directory
Please, can you help me fix my system? No matter command I tried, I always end up to a dead end and the upgrade is stuck.
Thank you all,
Eddie

refresh your mirrors:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && sudo pacman -Syyu
2 Likes

Thank you.
I did as you suggested but again I end up with the same error:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                  164.1 KiB   121 KiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 extra                1839.6 KiB   662 KiB/s 00:03 [######################] 100%
 community               7.4 MiB   887 KiB/s 00:09 [######################] 100%
 multilib              175.5 KiB   133 KiB/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

i dont see any error, your system is up to date

sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck                               INT ✘ 
rm: cannot remove '/var/lib/pacman/db.lck': No such file or directory

i dont see any lock database output from the post above, and the cannot remove is normal if the db.lck file isnt there…

So this is normal?
How can I correct now the error

Synchronizing package databases…
unable to lock database

whenever I try to update?

I am trying to delete the /var/lib/pacman/db.lck (the method I tried succesfully many times in the past) but the file now can not be found.

Is this normal?
Please help me for the last time :slight_smile:

run these:
sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
If you get: cannot remove ‘/var/lib/pacman/db.lck’: No such file or directory; use this:
sudo rm /var/tmp/pamac/dbs/db.lck

then provide output from:
uname -r

Thank you my friend.
I tried your suggestion with the new command, but again I got the “no such file or directory error”
The output of uname -r is

5.15.72-1-MANJARO

I mean I tried both commands but in every case I get “no such file or directory” like so:

sudo rm /var/tmp/pamac/dbs/db.lck                                ✔ 
[sudo] password for phil: 
rm: cannot remove '/var/tmp/pamac/dbs/db.lck': No such file or directory

you are up to date, you are running the latest kernel…
try rebooting after you run the commands, and then test if the message appears again

1 Like

You don’t need to remove the locks if everything is working. They are removed automatically.

I would link to the Wikipedia entry what a lock is but I don’t think the vocabulary is not very useful for you.

Pamac creates it’s own working folder /var/tmp/pamac which contains a folder dbs where the ocntent of dbs/sync is a separate copy of the the pacman databases and dbs/local is a symlink to /var/lib/pacman/local.

Pamac does not create it’s own lock-file - it uses the libalpm lockfile located in /var/lib/pacman to avoid collision with pacman.

As the advise appears pointing to an non existing file - where and from whom does this advise originate?

1 Like

Thank you sir for your kindness.
The forum’s support is the best :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.