Can I solely run on Nvidia proprietary drivers if I currently have Intel-Nvidia Hybrid drivers?

So, I want to download Nvidia drivers so I can make my GTX 1650 my main GPU. The problem is, I did this before and this happened. Did I do something wrong? I just went into the Hardware configuration tab in System Settings and uninstalled the hybrid drivers for my GPU and installed the nvidia ones. Was this error due to me doing it wrong or something else? If I attempted to install them again would i have the same problem?

It depends on your hardware:

Most current laptops do not have electronic wiring from the nVidia to the internal screen and need the Intel iGPU as a frame-buffer to be able to display anything and the nVidia to power the HDMI/DP/DVI/… port and looking at your previous issue I would say that’s the case, so yes, running on proprietary nVidia drivers only doesn’t seem to be possible for your hardware.

:sob:

I meant how I would set my Nvidia GPU as my GPU. my current gpu on Manjaro is set as an Intel Mesa, but I want my Nvidia GPU to be set as my GPU.

Optimus manager or Optimus switch are probably your best option. I always use prime-run command but Optimus manager should give you the option to boot into nvidia only mode

1 Like

That would be a workaround as that will use the iGPU as a frame-buffer for the dGPU, but OP will still not be able to run like I run on my high-end laptop that has the electronic wiring in place:

mhwd --listinstalled
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          video-nvidia            2020.11.30               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

and if OP doesn’t verify whether or not the wiring is in place, installing the proprietary drivers instead of the hybrid drivers will still give a black screen except on an external monitor (if and only if that electronic wiring is in place)

:man_shrugging:

how would i check if i have that wiring? open up my laptop?

If you’re an electronics engineer: yes.
If not: post a request for information on your hardware manufacturer’s forum…

(Please note that you never shared any hardware details so unless you have the exact same hardware as me, I won’t be able to answer that question for you)

:sob:

is there a specific name for the electronic wiring so i can check?

I’m not aware of an industry-standard name for this, so coming full circle:

:man_shrugging:

P.S. please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

well here is my exact model, scroll down to see my hardware specifications. I dont know what im looking for, what type of hardware im supposed to have to have this wiring??

I don’t own that particular hardware. Please create a post on the Acer forum to answer that question because the page you linked to doesn’t contain the information you seek.

but which cable am i looking for what am i meant to ask on the forums?

I dont know if this helps at all, but I did install proprietary nvidia drivers before on distros like Fedora using the same computer with no black screen or errors.