Can I prevent unwanted system upgrades?

Can I avoid updating system packages ( all of them in my case ) while installing new software?

mainly I want to prevent kernel update ( new one isnt working and crashes all the system making it unusable I must start over from the backup ) but I also want to avoid all new kde applications being installed again and again ( while using gnome de ) and all other stuff which I dont need. I tried to find answer in google but didnt find anything interesting.

You dont.
Thats a partial upgrade which is unsupported.

You can by using IgnorePkg in pacman.conf.
But again … that makes your system considered broken. Expect problems.

You should remove packages you dont need.

ok thats a pity for me. I thought there is complete solution for my problem. but let give it a chance. I know how pacman.conf works but could you tell me the name of package providing new kernel to block it ? thank u in advance.

I find it curious that some kernel upgrade ‘breaks’ your system.
Do you mean something like 5.4.07 -> 5.04.19 or 5.7 -> 5.9 ?

1 Like

I don’t know deteilas. I am using 5.8.18-1version and after update my system crashes.

Well without more information I cant help you.
I can tell you that kernel 5.8 is EOL (end of life)
Maybe you arent taking care to choose or use an LTS or similar … so with the death of that kernel you are being forced to an existing kernel like 5.9, possibly ala package like linux-latest ?
Outside of fringe examples like that you shouldnt be forced from one kernel series to another, and an update to a long standing kernel like 5.4 (5.4.14->5.4.15) shouldnt render your system useless.
So I have a feeling this comes down to some misunderstandings and mismanagement.
Open up manjaro-settings-manager and select a desired kernel that is supported (5.4 being the latest LTS … 5.9 may become one as well).
You cannot continue using 5.8.
If newer kernels dont work well for you … use an LTS, and test new ones over time.

If you have found yourself in a situation where you have an umbrella package like linux-latest installed you may wish to remove it as that would be the source of automatically installing the newest kernel series.

https://www.kernel.org/
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Manjaro_Kernels

2 Likes

If you want to install software without your system updating maybe you could look at snaps appimages and flatpacks. They usually come bundled with their own dependencies.

This is mandatory reading

When you have familiarized yourself with how updates or more correctly syncronizing work in the Arch/Manjaro eco system - you will know that you can use the following command on a fully synced system to install any package you like.

sudo pacman -S pkgname

That also means you can use the command on a system which is not sync’ed.

Doing so is highly discouraged, as the system when not sync’ed, will be in - what Arch call - a partially sync’ed state - and therefore unsupported.

If you get issues with system instability or weird system behavior - you know why - do not ask the forum for help - because you are in the mess by your own choice.

If you are not using KDE but have installed Gnome using the package manager then you should uninstall the KDE system (be careful though - dependencies) using the package manager.

This will prevent updating packages which is no longer used and thus can be removed.

There are some things on the System Maintenance page that are systemd automated, but not documented yet :slight_smile:

systemctl list-timers

My personal opinion on the mirrorlist timer is

systemctl mask pamac-mirrorlist.timer
2 Likes

From my brief experience on Manjaro, you can install a package without updates, but when you update you are “syncing” with Manjaro. Regarding the kernel though, I’ve stuck with the long-term 5.4 and plan to stay with it as long as they maintain it or while I have the same hardware.

That’s kind of the point of a rolling release model :slight_smile: