Can I install root on the SSD and /home on the HDD?

Can I install root on the SSD and /home on the HDD?

• Yes, you can. Select “Manual partition” option in the Calamares installer, mount partition on the SSD on / and the partition on the HDD on /home.
    (For details on partitioning and mounting see the User Guide pages 61-72 for BIOS systems and pages 73-90 for a UEFI system.)

Is it a good idea?

• Contra: It is not the best idea, because config and cache files in the home folder would profit from the speed of the SSD. Another thing to consider is that your system becomes less flexible and less portable. If you wanted to use the HDD on another machine you wouldn’t be able to login to your customized user session with the SSD alone. You would lose all the configs and get the defaults for a new user instead.
  • Pro: [To do]

Are there better alternatives?

• [To do]
5 Likes

This is open to opinion. IMHO, having OS data on SSD and user data on HDD is a perfectly good setup. Most user data isn’t I/O limited, and any that is can be linked into a location on the SSD as required. In particular, keeping locations like $HOME/.cache away from an SSD can extend its lifespan - though given improvements with modern SSDs the improvements may be negligible compared to the speed gains.

3 Likes

Not being the best idea doesn’t mean it is not a good idea.
Furthermore, this kind of setup is a good compromise between fast start and huge space storage, considering the price of SSD.

On the other hand, if your SSD crashes – which happened to me – then all you need is to reinstall on a new SSD, all configuration having being kept on the HDD. :wink:

2 Likes

This is where profile-sync-daemon and anything-sync-daemon could come into play (both are in the AUR; I started using them when I started using Manjaro and an older 850 EVO, with one regular HDD).

I’m going to start assembling my new machine in the morning (my machine died hard over the weekend), and I’ll be using 2 860 EVO’s. Haven’t decided if I’m gonna do RAID or not, and don’t know if I’m even going to put my old drives in. Will still use asd and psd, if nothing else for the speedup putting some of the .cache and .profile in RAM.

1 Like

It’s a good idea if the SSD is small or nearly full. On my baytrail /home is on an SD card (USB 2.0 speeds) and the performance is still acceptable. What doesn’t work well is having root on the SD card.

1 Like

An alternative that gives much of the advantage of both is to have a separate partition on hdd that contains Documents/Video/Pictures/Music/Desktop and than symlink those folders to it. That way all the config files can be on your ssd but the larger files can be on hdd.

6 Likes

I assume you know the topic is work in progress.

3 Likes

“Are there better alternatives?”
/root and /home on SSD and /data on HDD. Have a Steam folder on it, possiblity automate a way for the installer to add symlinks your Pictures, Videos and Downloads from /home to the data drive, that would be my dream. Or at least have a handy walk through for newbs in the FAQ :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Perhaps in the future you could put a temporary lock on your thread, so you can finish your post before all the second guessers pile on.

Thanks for making the forum a better place Eugen.

1 Like

It is open to duiscussion and contributions are welcome.

I would like to recommend @Strit’s solution with a separate data partition and mount bind folders to $HOME. [To do]

1 Like

Which most of can be found here:

2 Likes

I mean before we all go nuts for bind mounts lets consider there are other opinions about the goods and bads of symlinks and such.

One Example.

1 Like

You know what. You are absolutely right. Mounting the HDD in /mnt and just symlinking the folders you want into the places you want would be way easier.
I should have thought of that earlier, something simple as a synlink.
KISS!

2 Likes

I would like to list several alternatives.

1 Like

I use considerable sym-links but no bind mounts. Is that still okay?
Seriously, I want to know your opinion on this. Thanks.

Yes. I use considerable sym-links (without bind). But I don’t mount on /mnt, only on /media.
I also mount other things (temporarily) to /mnt , like
mount -o loop xxxxxxxxxxxx /mnt
mount /dev/sdxy /mnt
mount xxxxx /mnt

Won’t it be a problem if we mount disk partitions as /mnt in fstab and we then do the things above and mount to /mnt ?

I just changed my setup to symlinks yesterday.
I mount my drive in /mnt (this could be anywhere on the system to be honest) and created symlinks from the folders on the drive to the folders in my /home.
So far I have had zero issues, even though I do mount some stuff into folders in my /home from NFS shares too.

1 Like

I bind mount my NFS shares in /media, do you find any issues with NFS bind mounts in your home folder.

I mount my extra hard drive in fstab as /data and then just symlink music, photos, backup etc… I have not had any issues and everything gets backed up over local lan to a freenas server using syncthing. So far no issues over the last couple of years. Some backup programs will treat symlinks differently so that is something to keep in mind.

Before using syncthing I did the symlinks with NFS to freenas with various backup schema and no problems.

Timestamps and write times can be an issue with some situations so make sure your fstab mount option are what you need.

Non at all.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by