Can a default user be set for sudo authentication in pamac?

I recently created an additional user account on my PC, and I’ve noticed that there is now an extra step when I need to obtain sudo authentication. This additional step only applies to pamac; pacman does not require it. Here is the prompt I receive:

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.manjaro.pamac.commit ====
Authentication is required to install, update, or remove packages
Multiple identities can be used for authentication:
1. you
2. also you 
Choose identity to authenticate as (1-2):

The process itself is not problematic, but I would prefer to skip this step if possible and set a default user. I have searched through the man pages without success. It’s possible that I may have overlooked something, so if anyone knows a method to achieve this, I would greatly appreciate the information!

That sounds like a bug, as an application requesting authentication to perform something should not ask if you want to do it as current user or another user unless specifically asked to.

I would think this is an unexpected outcome of merging that out of tree patch that enabled CLI password input?

1 Like

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the insight. However, I’m not very familiar with the technical aspects you mentioned, such as the “out of tree patch”.

Either way, it never occurred to me that it could be a bug. I assumed it was on purpose.

It was just speculation on my part, i have not verified it. But the way the CLI password asking feature came into manjaro was someone on reddit made a patch for it, and it was included in manjaro. So when someone external makes a patch, there is more possibility of unforeseen consequences.

Of course it might be intentional, hopefully not. But to answer that you need an actual developer to chime in.

Pamac uses polkit which elevates permissions when needed - so the prompt you see is from pkexec over dbus.

pacman uses sudo but works with polkit as well

pkexec pacman -Syu

Since you have two users - both members of wheel - you get the choice because the system cannot deduct which one to use - hence the question.

Try removing the secondary user from wheel group - the choice disappears

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.