Buying and installing a game controller

I have been running Linux for years but I have never been a game person. I thought I would give it a go. It would seem that to navigate a game a controller would be a prerequisite. So I am looking at a budget controller from Amazon UK I guess up to £20. I just want to get the feel of it first before spending out money. Can someone recommend a controller that will work with Manjaro? How about drivers are they in the kernel or do I need to add them?
Graphics: NVIDIA Corporation GP108 [GeForce GT 1030]
CPU: Intel© Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 4
Games Installed
Super Tux Kart
STEAM
Super Crete Box
I don’t intend to guy any games untill I master this and stick with it.
Thanks
Robert…

Before anything else:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Forum_Rules#Product_Recommendation_Requests

• some PC gamers will stick to mouse and keyboard
  • most game controllers seem to work on linux > Manjaro <> other controllers might need tweaking.
  • games that run trough Steam will need this to work, but in some instances is not working.
  • for ocasional gaming, any controller will do :slight_smile:

Sorry for breaking the rules. So anything will work, that is good to know I will order something. Don’t like keyboard and mouse.
Thanks.

An Xbox 360 controller works with everything out of the box. It’s also old enough that you should be able to pick one up very cheaply.

I’ve tried the ps3 controller from some of my friends and it works out of the box on manjaro, and i really like that controller overall, i think you can get it really cheap if you buy it used.

Sounds the PS3 controller is a better choice. My younger brother been good at school and got to let him play some good games as promised, we just have to finish installing the railings and snap tonneau on the truck before I set up the PC and install the games.

What i only do is connect it via usb, press the sony button and done, i have not tested any steam games or bluetooth though.

i recently bought Logitech Gamepad F310 and it works great, its cheap and some people complain about the bumpers being a little too high and stiff but im not a hardcore gamer and it suits my needs perfectly. i have tested it with witcher 3 and some ppsspp games. it also has a xinput and directinput toggle switch on the back which is a plus. i recommend it for casual gamers like myself (works out of the box on manjaro too)