Built-n laptop speakers stopped working

I did a reasonably big update of packages with pacman -Syu last night (113 packages or so) and today I noticed that my laptop speakers stopped working. I searched the forum and confirm from what I read in another thread that it’s not a hardware issue because they work fine off a live usb of the same manjaro DE.

The bluetoothctl still works no problem it’s just the built-in laptop speakers for some reason. Fortunately since I mainly use the bluetoothctl nowadays this issue isn’t urgent but would be nice to get fixed without having to do a reinstall since I’m not in a position to do that at the moment.

Possible cause: when I did the package updating my screen went black and then came back. I had to reboot and run pacman -Syu to finish the upgrading of packages. Also when I first ran that command I the first time had to manually confirm switching out a few packages. (no I don’t remember their names sorry)

Side joke: I’m glad the updating caused this issue instead of wiping and rewriting the file where I blacklist pcspeaker. LOL That would’ve been very unpleasant to discover despite the fact that it’s much easier to fix.

Oh almost forgot here’s my inxi -Fx output

System:    Host: LinuxLoverForever Kernel: 4.19.23-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: i3 4.16.1 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Convertible System: Dell product: Inspiron 7573 v: N/A serial: <root required> 
           Mobo: Dell model: 0MKGK4 v: A00 serial: <root required> UEFI: Dell v: 1.11.0 date: 07/19/2018 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 53.8 Wh condition: 53.8/56.0 Wh (96%) model: Samsung SDI DELL W7NKD86 status: Full 
           Device-1: hid-0018:04F3:2541.0006-battery model: ELAN2097:00 04F3:2541 charge: N/A status: N/A 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-8550U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 31880 
           Speed: 900 MHz min/max: 400/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 900 2: 900 3: 900 4: 900 5: 900 6: 900 7: 900 8: 900 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce MX130] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.3 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.23-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 14:4f:8a:e2:91:90 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 88.02 GiB (36.9%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SK Hynix model: SC311 SATA 256GB size: 238.47 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 218.56 GiB used: 88.02 GiB (40.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda4 
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 15.62 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0 C mobo: 36.0 C sodimm: 41.0 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:      Processes: 199 Uptime: 20m Memory: 15.41 GiB used: 1.55 GiB (10.1%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 Shell: bash 

Update

I think I found the possible issue but I don’t how to fix it. After posting the inxi stuff I wondered if there was a difference in the audio info from the same command off a usb which I downloaded today and there was. The kernel version on my main install is 4.19.23-1 and the usb was 4.19.2-1 However I’m starting to think the kernel might not be the issue because I just tried downgrading to all available kernels (4.19.20 4.19.16 and 4.19.14) and there was no change although all available kernels are newer than the one on the latest live iso so I can’t rule it out for sure.

Final Update

Decided to use my snapshot from timeshift to restore my system but doing so completely broke it so now having to reinstall the system and using live usb to back stuff up at the moment.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.