BuildIso vs. BTRFS System Backup/Restore

OK, but what about the downloading and installing?! Shouldn’t it simply creat ISO from the system and data ALREADY on my SSD not from the internet?

Nope - it never has and it never will - it is a deployment tool - used by the team to automate building ISO images - it is not a backup tool - if you think so - you got it all wrong.

If you want an image of your running system - use clonezilla.

Or perhaps do some testing on penguins-eggs

1 Like

Please accept my apologies.
Sorry for that

I guess I did. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

OK. I will look at it and create an image of the ALREADY INSTALLED system.

Once done, I will try and see if BTRFS for system only and EXT$ for /home would work.

By the way, TimeShift or Snapper better? The safest and least problems?

Ah well sorry, seems to be a missing feature / difficult bug in baloo for years: 402154 – Baloo reindexes everything after every reboot when using BTRFS filesystem

However I use GNOME3 with tracker3. No issues with BTRFS.

hm… myself I have my data on a second HDD and bind the folder in fstab like this:

/mnt/data/downloads /home/user/Downloads none bind,x-gvfs-hide,X-mount.mkdir=0755 0 0 

The external HDD is ext4.

I don’t know - I don’t use.

Yeah, you are right it is a Baloo bug.

This gives me a hint that system (BTRFS) and /home (EXT4) should be working fine. Right? I will be getting best of both worlds?

You do not snapshot your system? How do you back it up?

Reading [HowTo] make a crash-proof backup in Manjaro for your entire system that @Fabby made.

Looks really interesting.
But it is pointing to download and install from web.

What about the clonezilla I found in repos (pamac), would it work?

I don’t :slight_smile:

I have all my important stuff in cold storage - on protondrive.

My soucecode is on github, gitlab and codeberg.

My local stuff is on separate partitons and separate USB storage drives of various sizes and from different vendors.

As I reinstall my system frequently - developer and tester - I have long ago devised a routine with a few scripts which maps my storage - so in case of a reinstall - it takes me 10-15 mintes including reinstall to be up and running on a fresh system.

WOW! That’s absolutely the opposite of what I want to do.
That’s why I am on Manjaro, a rolling release, and now looking even if it breaks I would not reinstall, I would roll back to a snapshot! Lazy me! :rofl:

Same, all my data is on cloud (serious docs on pCloud, whatever google drive and others), just in case.

We all have different needs and priorities - and over time one develop habits and my habits are - what I don’t use I don’t need on my system - which is why what I don’t need frequently, are on different storage partitions and networked devices.

It makes me independt of my workstation - I can always switch to another system.

I have various laptops setup for different purposes - even a macbook for specific tasks as this is one system which always work.

You can say what you like about Apple - I have also macBook for my wife because it always works.

Apple in my humble view great company, great products. As far as I know its OS is Linux (sort of). I’m on iPhone, iPad “only” for now!
On Manjaro I have what I want (on a 10 years old laptop!)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.