Building package and identifying deb-equivalent packages in manjaro

I need to build this github and from what I could search from AUR the package doesn’t exist there. (There is one for motion but not motionplus.)

The build instruction from motion page is based on debian.

sudo apt-get install autoconf automake autopoint build-essential pkgconf libtool libzip-dev libjpeg-dev git libavformat-dev libavcodec-dev libavutil-dev libswscale-dev libavdevice-dev libwebp-dev gettext libmicrohttpd-dev``cd ~
git clone https://github.com/Motion-Project/motionplus.git
cd motionplus
autoreconf -fiv
./configure
make
make install

From sudo pamac search command on those deb packages, I got a return stating that autopoint can’t be found. I have some questions as follows.

• I wonder if there is any approach where I could identify all the required packages in manjaro.
  • Assuming I found all those packages and replacing apt-get with pamac, could I just proceed with the rest in manjaro.

Well… the approach is using apt. :stuck_out_tongue:, but keep in mind that installing programs with apt on Manjaro will break you system. It is just useful to lookup packages, list the paths and search for packages with pacman/pamac by the given paths for example.

In most cases, yes. But it could be also possible that there was a breaking change at any library, so that it doesn’t work in Manjaro, but still on Ubuntu.

You gotta be kidding right?

I have problem with this autopoint(1) — Arch manual pages
The package seems to exist in arch but not manjaro. I wonder why.

It is in Manjaro. From the URL you pasted it tells you the package is called gettext

pacman -Q gettext                                                                                                     ✔ 
gettext 0.21.1-2

Edit: For building packages you need to install base-devel

1 Like

No, not really… You can install apt from the AUR… just saying. However… the package names can be different, but not the paths inside the package.

apt-file list <pkgname>
pacman -Ql <pkgname>
pamac list --files <pkgname>
apt-file search <pattern>
pacman -F <pattern>
pamac search --files <pattern>

So that way you can determine what files the deb package contains and which arch package contains it. Ok you can also do a web search…^^

Debian tents to create smaller packages and separate dev files, while Arch Linux includes them in normal packages… etc…

and one of the packages in that package group is: gettext

1 Like

@Nachlese @NGr @megavolt
Thank you everyone for enlightening me on this issue. I feel so grateful for you all.

There is a utility in AUR which can help creating a packagebuild from a deb package.

The utility is debtap and it uses a database - which must be initialized - to do what you are about to - identifying arch equivalents for deb.

1 Like