Building an .iso of my system

I have built an .iso per the instructions on this page:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Build_Manjaro_ISOs_with_buildiso

I created a bootable usb from the .iso file with etcher.
When I boot to the iso I get the following error:
Warning: /lib/modules/5.4.176-1-MANJARO/modules.devname not fount - ignoring
Starting version 250.3-2-manjaro
ERROR: ‘/dev/disk/by-label/MANJARO_KDEM_2123’ device did not show up after 20 seconds
Falling back to interactive prompt
You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh: can’t access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

I did not change any settings in the iso-profiles .

It’s difficult to say - failure during iso write - I noted the use of linux 5.4 - is that intentional?

Otherwise supply the kernel like this

buildiso -p kde -k linux515

Ok I used that command and added the kernel . I used 516 because that is what I have.
I am typing this from the usb. So that worked.
I got the default settings for Manjaro.
I will read the guide to do the customization’s I want like the packages I have added and all my desktop settings and tweaks I have made so I get a exact snapshot of my installed system.

I face the same error when trying to test Manjaro Qonos 21.2.2 minimal XFCE ISO with linux54.

Go to this directory.

~/iso-profiles/manjaro/xfce/desktop-overlay/etc/

Then create skel folder. This is where you can clone everything you see on your Desktop Screen to ISO.

After the ISO has been successfully installed all files and folder in desktop-overlay folder get copied over to the installed system. This includes settings/config files but also themes and backgrounds/pictures.

All files and folder in here will get copied to the home folder. Most hidden files and their structure in ~/iso-profiles/manjaro/xfce/desktop-overlay/etc/skel/ should be already familiar to you, because your home folder looks very similar.

So do I copy my home folder here along with all the .files to get my desktop settings?

Do I add packages that I have installed to the “packages-desktop” file?

compressed linux firmware ? Nah - I think the support for compressed firmware is from 5.4 onwards.

Watch out for duplicates - they can break the process.

Yep

Before I try the next iso how can I get the iso file to go somewhere in /home directory instead of /var/cache/manjaro-tools/iso…

I figured this out. -t option

buildiso -p kde -k linux516 -t /home/demo/Downloads -b unstable

I am making progress here to get a perfect iso snapshot of my system.

Is it possible that if I make changes to the system while using the usb iso that they can be saved to the usb for the next boot of the usb drive.
Like a persistent version or what they call a frugal install.

I am also trying to add an AUR package to my iso. I am having this issue.
I don’t know what I am doing wrong.

[demo@manjaro libglade]$ ls
glade.install  libglade-2.0.1-nowarning.patch  PKGBUILD
[demo@manjaro libglade]$ cd ..
[demo@manjaro pkgbuild]$ ls
libglade
[demo@manjaro pkgbuild]$ buildpkg -p libglade
bash: buildpkg: command not found

No. AFAIK the ISO filesystem isn’t persistent, so you’ll have to use another technique. (I speak from a lot of research into this exact subject.)

Rather look here:

Your topic is Building an .iso of my system and Manjaro tools creates an ISO9660 filesystem - it is readonly.

If you want persistance - you would need to use a completely different method as already suggested.

Building a package requires another tools package - manjaro-tools-pkg{-git} if you are using the git version.

From that article this is the part that I am failing at:

Next thing to do is build the package. Please note that you must be located one level above your actual PKGBUILD. Understand this as the -p argument is the name of the folder holding the PKGBUILD instructionset.

user $ buildpkg -p kickchaw

Consider a tree like this

The folder containing subfolders containing specific PKGBUILD scripts and associated files could be reference as a library of package scripts - in this case named pkgbuilds.

$ echo $PWD
/data/pkgbuilds
$ tree -L 2
└── norse-sddm-theme
    └── PKGBUILD

Using makepkg you execute inside the folder containing the PKGBUILD e.g.

$ cd norse-sddm-theme
$ echo $PWD
/data/pkgbuilds/norse-sddm-theme
$ makepkg

Using buildpkg you execute in the package library folder but outside the folder containing the PKGBUILD script and the resulting package is placed in the cache folder defined in manjaro-tools.conf

$ cd ..
$ echo $PWD
/data/pkgbuilds
$ buildpkg -p norse-sddm-theme

There is another build method (manjaro-chrootbuild package) which works in similar way but places the package in the package library folder

$ echo $PWD
/data/pkgbuilds
$ sudo chrootbuild -p norse-sddm-theme

makepkg worked but the following is still not working.

==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: libglade 2.6.4-8 (Sat 12 Feb 2022 11:09:13 AM EST)
[demo@manjaro libglade]$ buildpkg -p libglade
[demo@manjaro libglade]$ ls
glade.install  libglade-2.0.1-nowarning.patch  libglade-2.6.4-8-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst  libglade-2.6.4.tar.bz2  pkg  PKGBUILD  src
[demo@manjaro pkgbuild]$ buildpkg -p libglade
[demo@manjaro pkgbuild]$ chrootbuild -p libglade
bash: chrootbuild: command not found

The messages are obvious - you have not installed the tools for the job.

pacman -S manjaro-chrootbuild

Depending on which version you installed of the manjaro-tools-base you will need either

pacman -S manjaro-tools-pkg

Or if you are using the git version

pacman -S manjaro-tools-pkg-git

And you need to be outside the folder with the PKGBUILD

[demo@manjaro ~]$ buildpkg -p libglade

This step I cannot do.
I don’t have a host server. I only have my laptop that I am using.
Is there some other way to do this?

Now you need to upload online-repo to your Host Server. Upload everything from online-repo to your Host Server. Your web address as to match the name of the directory folder you created. This is what your web address should look like after upload online-repo to your Host Server.

http://www.myserver.com/repository/online-repo/x86_64/

Using an offline repository is unsupported - officially there is not other way.

This topic is about the same thing

So wouldn’t it be just as easy to reinstall any AUR packages I have to the iso after I install it to a system?

You are correct - much easier - it all depends on what you want to do.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.