[BUG] [SOLVED] Double quotation marks not being stored in Refind

I finally got my setup working with NVidia drivers and my system is booting;

I only bumped into a new very strange problem.
The only way this works, is when the double quotation marks are being used.
So: acpi_osi=“Windows 2009”

Unfortunately when I save the Refind file and I boot up, the quotation marks including the text are gone and therefor the system cannot boot.
In this case I need to hit F2 and edit it manually, which works fine.
After booting, and opening the file, the format looks fine.

Is there another way to store this?

edit: I have tried it without any quotation marks or single quotation marks (’ ') but that doesn’t boot the system.

Which file?

At /boot/refind_linux_conf, add the parameters there.

"Boot with standard options"  "root=UUID=c69d25c9-73a6-4a1e-a586-805d060cc822 rw"
"Boot to single-user mode"    "root=UUID=c69d25c9-73a6-4a1e-a586-805d060cc822 rw single"
"Boot with minimal options"   "ro root=UUID=c69d25c9-73a6-4a1e-a586-805d060cc822"

Or at manual entries in /boot/efi/refind/refind.conf…, add there like…

menuentry "Manjaro Plasma" {
    icon     /EFI/refind/icons/os_manjaro1.png
    loader   /vmlinuz-intman
    initrd   /initramfs-intman.img
    options  "root=PARTUUID=d7ab9a0b-b52b-4b69-8d1c-bd57b9b98a2e rw"
}

menuentry "Manjaro Plus" {
    icon     /EFI/refind/icons/os_manjaro3.png
    loader   /vmlinuz-intman
    initrd   /initramfs-intman.img
    options  "root=PARTUUID=9ba9da5c-749b-466e-9842-e913428f13f7 rw"
}

menuentry "Kubuntu" {
    icon     /EFI/refind/icons/os_kubuntu.png
    loader   /vmlinuz
    initrd   /initrd.img
    options  "root=PARTUUID=b0d113c8-e7c4-4b06-a59e-788044829d70 ro"
}

menuentry "Opensuse" {
    icon     /EFI/refind/icons/os_opensuse.png
    loader   /boot/vmlinuz
    initrd   /boot/initrd
    options  "root=PARTUUID=51ccc2ea-1d38-4f03-9d68-7aff5624f6fa"
}

Well, after A LOT of searching, I found the solution.
It is in the Refind documentation, but not very clear at all, since they use the word “quotes” instead.

See; http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/linux.html

If you have to pass an option that includes quotes, you can do so by doubling up on them, as in “root=/dev/sdb9 my_opt=”“this is it”"", which passes root=/dev/sdb9 my_opt=“this is it” to the shell. You can include as much white space as you like between options. You can also place comments in the file, or remove an option by commenting it out with a leading hash mark (#), as in the fourth line in this example.

So in our case we need to use;

"Boot with standard options"  "rw root=UUID=c69d25c9-73a6-4a1e-a586-805d060cc822 acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=""Windows 2009"" "

This is for /boot/refind_linux.conf, which I think should work fine for the most of us?

But it’s the same for /boot/efi/EFI/refind/refind.conf

2 Likes

BTW, @OWC how do you manage your intel-ucode in rEFInd? [1]
Unless you are using AMD cpu processors, with the current Meltdown and Spectre (not that it has currently real fixes), rEFInd in Manjaro needs to handle intel-ucode.

Also, how do you handle multiple Manjaro OS’s in rEFInd either? [2]
Say, you have Manjaro KDE and Manjaro i3. An upgrade in one OS kernel, say from linux414rc3 to linux414rc4 would make the other distro boot up with new kernel without an actual upgrade, possibly breaking some things. [3]

[1] - Output with ‘dmesg | grep microcode’
[2] - Or multiple ‘ubuntu’ type distros, say Linux Mint and Kubuntu or Debian and Kali or Arch with Antergos or…
[3] - Of course, if we have just a single linux OS, no big deal, but then won’t systemd-boot a better choice? Far less complicated and already built-in. Oh… eye candy aside. Or Kay Sievers aside. :roll_eyes:

@gohlip
At this moment I don’t handle anything at all. In fact in my opinion the whole “Meltdown and Spectre debate” is that it’s being a little blown up. As a normal consumer it will be very unlikely that someone will get into any trouble with it. Unless you are a type of person that randomly clicks on sketchy websites and stuff. On top of that a lot of browsers, search engines and virus scanners are already preventing users from getting close to these kind of problems. The source code is known so that makes it doable for other software to recognize it as well.
It’s like the fences and walls around your house to prevent burglars to get in.

People seem to forget that you first need to download and execute software to ‘infect’ hardware.
Or are people also wearing bulletproof vests at home?

I don’t have multiple Manjaros OS’s, so I can’t answer your question about that.

In general, I don’t really understand your questions, lol :slight_smile:

Thanks for replying. Appreciate your comments.
I asked because people who does what’s not the default (grub is default bootloader for most - almost all linux OS) usually have strong reasons for doing so. But it is good to hear from you.

Cheers, take care.

I am very practical and pragmatic. So I just use that works best, or sometimes even looks best.
I find Refind just a lot nicer than the vintage look (and feel) of grub.
In this particular case, I simply just wanted to get my system running and working (finally!)

Ah… okay. Good point too. Grub can be a hassle to get the theme settings right. Mageia has a nice (default) theme for its grub, that’s how I got started to get themes for my own grub. Now I have a collection of themes for my grub. :grin:

Thanks for sharing.

Why don’t you share your way of getting these nice themes ready? :smiley:

Sure, it is here.
It is more in context with this separate grub itself.

I did not really mind the plain text or non-plymouth (Mageia also has a beautiful plymouth) but since it is ‘doable’, it’s more a matter of ‘why-not’ rather than a ‘must-have’ for me.

I’m sure my theme method has a lot of rough edges (as I admitted in the link), and if you find ways to polish these up, please write them in the link itself.

Hope you find them useful. Cheers.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark