[Bug Report] Manjaro Freezes and Blackscreens after login

Hello. I’m new to the Manjaro forum, so sorry if this is the incorrect place to post a bug report. However, I just wanted to let any relevant people know about a bug I encountered. The long and short of it is, I installed Manjaro on a laptop a few months ago. Everything worked smoothly, until a few days ago, when I was greeted with a blackscreen after logging in. I roamed around on the forums here to try to find a fix, and tried sudo pacman -Syyu, but that ended up making it so I just crashed upon putting in my password. I still could get in through the root account, but the Plasma shell just wasn’t working right. I was on the Linux 5.9 kernel, and I don’t remember installing any experimental or new software that might have screwed up my system. I asked for support on the forum, but was unable to solve the problem. There is more information about my system on that thread (Manjaro Plasma Freezes After Login). I ended up just reinstalling Manjaro after that. Again, I apologize if this is the incorrect place to post this, or if I am missing any important information, so please ask if I missed anything important. Hopefully this bug is something that the devs know about, or is just user error, though.

Hello,

Your post has no actually bug report technical data, is rather a vague informative feedback of an experience you had. Looking trough that initial post of yours, some things came up about:

• suggested to switch to 5.10 kernel as 5.9 is EOL = end of life and it seems you did, but then you provided the inxi still pointing that you boot up the 5.9 kernel …
  • it seems your laptop has hybrid GPU (intel and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile) and you are using the nouveau drivers … Try to switch to the proprietary dirver.
  • the only suggestion regarding that Dell G3 3779 model of yours is to disable Secure Boot, otherwise there should be no issue.
1 Like