BTRFS with ‘/home’ on separate disk

Nope. I have timeshift set up to back up everything except for /tmp, /run and /var/cache.

Shouldn’t this stuff excluded per default anyways?

I need to check my snapshots… hmmm.

@Ben
What do you think, was your BTRFS snapshot restore problem mainly related because you didnt created your snapshots with Rsync on a separated disk?

Some of it is, but it never hurts to explicitly list it as not included.

1 Like

Yes, that’s not really the best way to do snapshots TBH and it’s possible to create BTRFS snapshots and also back them up, which is pretty complicated.

I did manage to import a BTRFS snapshot and mount it, but for some reason it messed up some time later - it’s confusing and I just gave up working it out.

I did still have backups to work from, so it didn’t take too long to import what I wanted.

I don’t understand where are you pointing now.

Are you talking about you did a unnecessary and complicated way in the past to use BTRFS Snapshots instead just using Rsync Snapshots?

Is there a reason why you not using Rsync Snapshots on your BTRFS Partition?

No, RSYNC snapshots are nowhere near as quick as an instant BTRFS, and I don’t think the word ‘snapshot’ - which sounds as if you’re taking a quick photo of your system to be restored, can apply restoring them with parsing can also take a long time - and with timeshift I had this fail also when making snapshots to an external disk. Snapshots should really go on Root, they aren’t supposed to be backups.

I think he means why don’t you just use the rsync tool to copy your data to another hard drive and then use rsync to restore your data back to your new system. that might be easy for you, linux-filesystem doesn’t matter.

PS: Do not copy any subvolume/snapshot of btrfs, only copy normal files and folders using rsync.

2 Likes