BTRFS maintenance

Hello good day,

Since the release of Pahvo, I’m planning to do a clean install and want to try the new GNOME 40.

But I have question about BTRFS, does the BTRFS maintenance is already take cared by Manjaro, or I still need to configure it?

Currently I’m using ext4 and I also want to try BTRFS.

What do you mean?

I mean about scrubbing, balancing and defrag.
Something like this GitHub - kdave/btrfsmaintenance: Scripts for btrfs maintenance tasks like periodic scrub, balance, tri

I suppose it’s taken care of with the right options/packages (when applicable).
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Btrfs#Usage

So we still need to configure it after install?
I was watching this from the Manjaro Pahvo | The Best GNOME Experience - YouTube
And just say a “enhanced support for BTRFS” and about the snapshot, but doesnt talk about the maintenance.

BTRFS does need little maintenance.

I do nothing regularly. Once in a time maybe a balance with limit 75% (after 3-6 month)

• If you are worried that the data on a btrfs volume has been corrupted, test it with btrfs scrub
  • Please use btrfs balance sparingly. Most of the time it is unnecessary and only burdens the system. And if so, please always use it with limits (e.g. 75% or 50%)
  • Take automatic snapshots (e.g. with snapper ). If possible every hour. With btrfs it doesn’t cost anything. Snapper can also automatically free these snapshots after a set time. (delete seems the wrong term here)
  • If you have several (2, 3 or 4) devices and can combine them into one btrfs volume, then use RAID1
  • Don’t forget to make good backups of your data. btrfs send is your friend

copied from

2 Likes

What does your btrfs balance command look like?

see @ kernel.org

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/SysadminGuide#Balancing

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back to your question after your issue has been solved and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

Topic closed as it looks like it’s going to evolve into a discussion topic instead of a help topic.