I got a new nvidia error in journal after the update

I got a new nvidia error in journal after the update:

kernel: [drm:drm_new_set_master] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000100] Failed to grab modeset ownership

Should im worry about the error? I’m still using nvidia_drm.modeset=1 in Grub, not sure if this both are related now, after the update :face_with_monocle:

Ubuntu 21.10 - "Failed to grab modeset ownership" with 495.44 - #37 by amrits - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
The warning message is expected. When a client (such as the modesetting driver) attempts to open our DRM device node while modesetting permission is already acquired by something else (like the NVIDIA X driver), it has to fail, but the kernel won’t let us return a failure after v5.9-rc1, so we print this message. It won’t impact functionality of the NVIDIA X driver that already has modesetting permission. Safe to ignore as long as long as you didn’t need the other client to actually get modesetting permission. If you want to suppress the error, you would need to find which client is attempting to open the NVIDIA DRM device node and prevent it from doing so.

[SOLVED] drm:drm_new_set_master error in journalctl / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums
For nvidia suspension issues, do you have KMS/modeset on nvidia-drm enabled? You might want to try and set up the modern restoration hooks: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA … er_suspend

1 Like

I don’t have this gkr message:

gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

Still not sure what that information in the nvidia forum means for me:

Safe to ignore as long as long as you didn’t need the other client to actually get modesetting permission.

For what could i probably need this modesettings permission?

2nd quote from Archwiki has been corrected to show comment relating to nvidia-drm

I removed nvidia_drm.modeset and the error is gone.

Why were you using this in the first place?

Because of a nvidia driver issue in the past.

hehe. nvidia stuff. But yeah, these are the hoops you might have to be jumping … because nvidia.
Insert torvalds gif.

(ps. I was earnestly asking for my own information and posterity, thanks for responding/referencing)

Yeah np, this drm grub command was a great work-around for several month, but nvidia only fixed this bug 7 month later and this grub command only worked for 5 month.

This was one of my worst experience with nvidia support, but atleast there was always other workaround available and i think that AMD isn’t the holy grail either.

Flames arent intended, and I have no loyalty to any given multi-million-or-billion-dollar corporation.

But I will say that records of hostility to opensource, even if reversed recently in earnest, will have had a foundational impact on efficiency and interoperability. And technology is one of those things where equations tend to work in an exponential fashion.

(further observations about economics and so forth not even being considered)

Im also glad that you arent in the position of wanting to throw your device out of the window. :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.