Broken Freezed Login/Logout on SDDM with Systemd

I have digged out if anyone else experiences this problem and it tends out it is lots of people on other distros did too.

When you try shut down Manjaro its slow as a snail and it may stuck. Its specific to Manjaro KDE but not Debian KDE. I digged out $ systemd analyze blame and some stuff just couldn’t be stopped and disabled. One thing I had to mask. System got more responsive. But its still not perfect. I removed like 3-4 things that are on Manjaro OOTB. Shutdown is still S L O W (!).

How to reproduce (very important):

1. Loging to Manjaro KDE
  2. Wait 3-5 sec, do sth.
  3. Log out
  4. Wait a sec.
  5. Log in.
    FROZEN.

The guys on Open Mandriva had the same problem as I do on Manjaro (still unresolved on Manjaro, don’t know if they actually fixed it on OM- I doubt it):

issues dot openmandriva dot org/show_bug.cgi?id=2656

In order to make Manjaro KDE more responsive (a must for ootb experience):

1. stop & disable avahi-deamon.service
  2. stop, disable & mask (pesky!) lvm2-monitor (slows down the hell the system, On Fedra lvm works OK)
  3. snpd.service (yep, that went out too, was slow and I prefer system-wide settings and secure shared libraries…).[+ $ pacman -Rdd snapd && pacman snapd-glib]

After doing this the system went from UNUSABLE to usable and somewhat responsive, much more responsive, but system still DOESN’T log out properly (freeze, but less). Logging in after loggin out, is still too slow (for a moment with black screen it may seem like frozen).

P.S.
In order to understand the non-responsiveness of Manjaro KDE, please try Debian 10.8 KDE or “Debian 11 KDE Testing Weekly” on a bare metal (not VB!) and your old computer. I would expect Manjaro to be as responsive as Debian 10/11.

P.S. 2 I use KDE with “Start with an empty sessions”, so nothing “spoils” the login plus:
no monitoring for network folders
no moitoring for printers
no monitoring for bluetooth
etc.
And now after logout, I have to wait 5 min. after typing password with frozen splash sceen of SDDM. Not good. Not good.

I tried it, but can’t reproduce. My Plasma is still fast and fluent.

Then I don’t know. Something is “killing” logout/login/sddm. But I search online and found they had the same issue on Open Mandriva (link above). Did you turn off something, I don’t know about? Do you use KDE on bare metal? Do you use LVM? Can you give me your $ systemd analyze blame just after login? Do you use KDE with “Start with an empty sessions”? Or you login with remembered (default) session?

I have imilar problems with Manjaro KDE on logout or change user. If i take a look into journal most time kglobalaccel5 + dbus breaks and coredump have a lot work to do. Restarting SDDM + Plasma takes then a long time. I disabled/masked as suggested lvm2 and snapd (both are’nt needed in my configuration). Except avahi-deamon.service, i will try this one.

Or you login with remembered (default) session?

That’s what i use.

I doubt if it will be useful. My system is 4 years old, so I surely have many old, unused or disabled services. Also my Plasma is greatly modified compare to default settings. And yes I login to previous session. Anyway you also should share your logs – maybe someone will be able to point your problem :wink:

systemd-analyze blame
1.055s systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service                                      
1.038s systemd-modules-load.service                                                             
 737ms dev-sda2.device                                                                          
 576ms tlp.service                                                                              
 377ms cups.service                                                                             
 343ms systemd-random-seed.service                                                              
 334ms systemd-journal-flush.service                                                            
 252ms ldconfig.service                                                                         
 245ms udisks2.service                                                                          
 197ms systemd-udevd.service                                                                    
 118ms upower.service                                                                           
 101ms polkit.service                                                                           
  99ms user@1000.service                                                                        
  97ms systemd-timesyncd.service                                                                
  89ms NetworkManager.service                                                                   
  88ms iptables.service                                                                         
  78ms boot.mount                                                                               
  76ms systemd-journald.service                                                                 
  71ms systemd-udev-trigger.service                                                             
  68ms avahi-daemon.service                                                                     
  64ms systemd-logind.service                                                                   
  59ms lm_sensors.service                                                                       
  53ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-70DC\x2d261D.service                                    
  43ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-acdf662d\x2dfab8\x2d43eb\x2db53e\x2d63f80836cc11.service
  37ms colord.service                                                                           
  35ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                                                           
  29ms systemd-sysusers.service                                                                 
  28ms systemd-journal-catalog-update.service                                                   
  27ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service                                                           
  19ms modprobe@fuse.service                                                                    
  18ms wpa_supplicant.service                                                                   
  18ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service                                                       
  17ms systemd-rfkill.service                                                                   
  17ms systemd-update-utmp.service                                                              
  15ms dev-hugepages.mount                                                                      
  14ms dev-mqueue.mount                                                                         
  13ms sys-kernel-debug.mount                                                                   
  13ms sys-kernel-tracing.mount                                                                 
  12ms kmod-static-nodes.service                                                                
  12ms modprobe@configfs.service                                                                
  11ms modprobe@drm.service                                                                     
  11ms rtkit-daemon.service                                                                     
   9ms home.mount                                                                               
   9ms user-runtime-dir@1000.service                                                            
   9ms systemd-remount-fs.service                                                               
   8ms systemd-update-done.service                                                              
   7ms systemd-sysctl.service                                                                   
   6ms sys-kernel-config.mount                                                                  
   5ms systemd-user-sessions.service                                                            
   5ms tmp.mount                                                                                
   3ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount 

You have pretty low timings. Are you sure that is Manjaro? You don’t seem to have snapd.service, but you didn’t mention you did remove it. And you have low timesyncd (I have my own IPs…).

The only thing I see on my system that takes long is firewalld (758ms). But this is OK. Other thing similar is apparmor (1.083s). A little above 1s but should be 100ms at the bottom. And its spawns another instance in Kosole when I open another tab (ctrl+shift+T). I have no idea if its this that makes login/logout “jerky” (not the first loging). Another thing I see that seems too high is .swap Any tip for configuring it? Any idea?

PS. I also checked journalctl (verify - it was OK, flushed it,$ rm -r logs, but that was all OK, so it was not this)

Stupid question. If that wasn’t Manjaro I wouldn’t reply.