Broadcom Wifi Driver missing after Kernel 6.0 update

Yesterday I updated Manjaro on my Macbook Air to Kernel version 6.0.0-1 and after rebooting I am unable to use WiFi. I’m not able to connect ethernet on this computer so I’m hoping to resolve the issue with packages that are already downloaded and in my cache.

Here are an assortment of things that I have found

• When I look at System Settings/Hardware Configuration it shows network-broadcom-wl as not installed.
  • Running sudo modprobe wl gives modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found in directory /lib/modules/6.0.0-1-MANJARO
  • Inside of /etc/modprobe.d/ I have broadcom-wl conf files for linux 515 and 519.
  • I have linux519-broadcom-wl cached locally and after reinstall it prompts me about updated kernel and to restart.
    *I’ve tried to downgrade to kernel 5.19 by using mhwd -i linux 519 but when I reboot it still shows 6.0.0-1-MANAJRO.
  • I’ve seen some articles about using grub-rescue to change the kernel version but the steps I saw online we’re working for me. I have encrypted disk, but was able to mount it with cryptomount and got stuck after that.

My feeling is that if I can get back to kernel 5.19 that linux-broadcom-wl will fix my issue.

Any guidance is appreciated

Hi @jroddev, and welcome!

In order for us, or anyone for that matter, to be able to provide assistance, more information is necessary. To that end, please see:

Hope you manage!

Tip:

To provide terminal output, copy the text you wish to share, and paste it here, surrounded by three (3) backticks, a.k.a grave accents. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Portaest sed
elementum
cursus nisl nisi
hendrerit ac quis
sit
adipiscing
tortor sit leo commodo.

Instead of like this:

Portaest sed elementum cursus nisl nisi hendrerit ac quis sit adipiscing tortor sit leo commodo.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby improving legibility and making it much easier for those trying to be of assistance.

Hello @jroddev,

as you can read here there is a problem with kernel 6.0 and broadcom-wl.

Manjaro normally starts the newest installed kernel. If you want to start manjaro with an other kernel you need to choose it via grub-menu.
Also normally grub-menu is hidden while start. You can tap ESC or hold SHIFT while boot to let show the grub-menu. Or you make it always visible like discribed in here:

1 Like

There is no broadcom-wl driver yet compiiled for 6.0 kernel series.

1 Like

@kisun thank you very much. The examples I had for /etc/default/grub changes were different than the ones you posted. Those ones ended up sending me to grub rescue. You link did the job and I have the system working again.

@philm in the link you posted it looks like the broadcom-wl issue was just closed. Do you know when linux6-broadcom-wl will become available and I should try again?

1 Like

Seems like linux60-broadcom-wl was just added to the unstable branch.

(You can see the package added here: Packages )