Brightness jumps once after boot

Hello I am running Manjaro testing on an Lenovo Ideapad 5 14 inch 14are05 model.I have a renoir cpu and my brightness works fine, except for when I just started the machine. The brightness is set to 100% even though the actual setting is much lower and when I want to lower the brightness the screen immediately changes to the real brightness setting. Is there a way I could automatically update the brightness after boot?

Hello HuggieBo,

I have a similar issue on my IdeaPad, although I recently seem to be coming from the other direction (0%, which is not off, just very low), although it’s not happening all the time for me - I had it happen for some days in a row only to then vanish again (probably due to an update).
Might not even be the same issue, but anyway, I just use a workaround by setting the screen brightness in the energy settings within KDE. That way it makes sure the brightness is at the level I want, although it might not remember manual changes (via Fn keys) in between boots. It’s a few years since I used Gnome, so I can’t directly tell you if there’s a similar setting in Gnome.

If I remember correctly, the issue was introduced with some Mesa update a couple of months ago. There’s also this message at boot about brightness not being saved. You could also search for that, there have been several topics on it, although I think while they tell you how to get rid of the message, they don’t fix the brightness issue.

Oh yeah I remember searching for that Error and only finding fixes which just hide the message. Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.