Brave should be in Manjaro repos

I think it is actually the opposite. PTS / AllAdvantage added advertisements to the consumers computer, overwhelming them with ads, slowing down the connection, etc.

Brave is instead blocking ads and encouraging content creators to accept tips instead. It has the “Basic Attention Token”, an Ethereum based token that uses a smart contract to allocate the funds that the user wants to donate according to where their attention was spent. So, for instance, if I set my monthly contribution to $10 and I spent 60% of my browsing time on the Manjaro site, Manjaro would receive $6.00 worth of my BAT tokens as compensation at the end of the month.

That certainly could be a compelling argument but as is emphasized above - it requires a tracking of the users browsing and how much time is spent at websites.

There is a quote in the computer world article that the users data is not in the Brave data center.

But for how long?

And what happens if - let’s say - Facebook bought the Browser - like what happened with WhatsApp Messenger - which - if you share your phonebook will create shadow user profiles?

Profiles which are generated from your friends’ data and thus you cannot ask Facebook to delete since the data technically is your friends’ data and not yours?

1 Like

There is a quote in the computer world article that the users data is not in the Brave data center.

It is encrypted and anonymized so that they can’t access it. From their FAQ:

All Brave Payments analysis is done without disclosing your identity. The analysis is carried out over the network via the open source ANONIZE protocol and on-device via statistical voting, so that neither Brave, nor any other entity, can correlate browsing page views with contributions.

I believe that even if another business acquired them, they would not have access to the historical data, and the browser could be forked. If that is not true, it is news to me.

Encryption is made to be decrypted, lets be real. The real question is do you trust them not to backdoor you. I don’t, but I am quite confident that Brave will be a successful venture for a period of time. I don’t trust Brendan Eich, I don’t trust this to remain opensource, I don’t trust this to not become a walled garden, with others designing their own similar walled gardens. I see this whole concept going hand in hand with making the end of net neutrality a reality, and cashing in on it. That being said I plan on buying some BAT, but I won’t be sharing any real data, passwords, or anything else. I definitely see it as a good investment, after all there are many who love Apple products, and this is targeted squarely at that kind of user. I see the advantages, I just don’t trust the company, and definitely see it geting bought out when it hits critical mass.

2 Likes

I don’t know anyone who uses Brave, mainly because they don’t trust the business model, company or CEO.

Just one of those projects that sounds great as a concept, but the more you drill down into it the less it passes the smell test.

IMO it is being developed for one reason only … acquisition.

4 Likes

The fundamental problem is, many of us don’t trust the company. They came out with an image and a strategy. When they realized people didn’t buy that, they transformed overnight. Everything about Brave, the way they conduct their business and the product just “feels” dishonest.

The point of this, is that information in their FAQ has no merit, because I simply don’t trust them as a valid source of information.

Remember when a big part of their pitch was that they kept you safer by only providing curated extensions? Now they are re-basing so that they can offer widespread support for extensions.

The reality is that there will always be a trade-off between privacy/security and functionality/flexibility. They are moving towards trying to give everyone what they want while providing an illusion of privacy/security.

In the end, it is all what @sueridgepipe stated above me. They are trying to do just enough to get a little groundswell so that they can get acquired.

5 Likes

And Vivaldi? As an Opera spinoff it is quite good. Opera may have been sold to the chinese, but it certainly was an innovator (as is Vivaldi now). Vivaldi may even bring back having a built-in email-client (it has one for it’s own vivaldi.net webmail) and improve on seamonkey.

I like Vivaldi, I am using it now. However, it isn’t really the same thing as brave claims to be. It is just a normal browser with a lot of customizability.

1 Like

So you would put more trust in Vivaldi than in Brave? Why?

Vivaldi in no way at any point changed their messaging regarding their project. They are not trying to monetize their project by making themselves the sole middle man for your web experience. Brave is trying to inject itself in the space between you and search providers in order to syphon funds out of Google’s pocket into theirs. They will lock you into their ecosystem with their own crypto, so you have to have their crypto to play. Who will own the largest portion of crypto…hrmmm I wonder. That is why I dont trust Brave, I don’t trust Brendan Eich. I trust Tetzchner far more.

2 Likes

One of my friends introduced me to Brave, “You get paid crytpo”. Ah, yeah, to look at ads I don’t want, and besides, that function isn’t working. It just says ‘Coming soon’. When’s that going to be? So, I block ads, but still get ads. I suppose the concept of getting paid to click ads might work for some people, but I think the majority just don’t want ads at all.

So, I get some free BAT, put them on Uphold because that’s all I can do with it before the EXPIRY DATE or pay websites. Why can’t I just buy stuff I want with the BAT?
This line on chrome://rewards/ bothers me: Ads presented are based on your interests, as inferred from your browsing behavior. So what is doing the inferring and where are those inferences stored? There must be a profile for the system to know what I’ve been looking at.

I find the lack of control over what is allowed or not quite restrictive. I’ve used uBlock Origin and Umatrix for a while, and I like to control myself what is allowed or not.

Now, there’s the error regarding no-sandbox, which apparently reduces security. I’m not clued up on exactly what no-sandbox is, but I do understand that a reduction in security is not good.

After using Brave for a few weeks, I’ve come to the conclusion that it seems like yet another product jumping on the crypto bandwagon. I suppose the Bitcoin crowd (many much poorer these days) need another crypto fix. Maybe they could use Maxthon as well. That company is running a crypto browser now.

That isnt even really vaguely true. They have some a weird man-in-the-middle pyramid scheme where they alot you something similar to tokens that you can tip to websites you like or support. This is somehow supposed to be the wave of the future and slowly replace the ‘ads on websites model’ … or thats what they came up with after everyone laughed at their previous model of simply replacing ads on websites with their own sponsored ads [which, AFAIK they still do too].

1 Like

That’s what my colleague told me. The whole thing seems rather restrictive, and any BATs that go to sites that don’t use BAT get sent to the growth pool. I think that could mean, back to Brave. Why not send them back to the user who sent them?

BAT seems to be dependent on Ethereum, so I suppose BAT’s value will be tied to it.

When all things are considered, Brave is simply an ad-serving browser that may encourage clicks for BAT, but no real attention given.

i like the security focused ideal but is it really if it’s distributing the BAT to sites based on how much time you spend on them, meaning its tracking everywhere you go, and for how long. a security focused browser that tracks usage???
im good for now, no thanks.

very interesting.
I have brave installed on my PC and my smartphone.
I didn’t register with Brave and now I get emails from brave (marketing@brave.com) to my Google account.
I am a bit outraged that people seem to grab my email address from my smartphone and send emails. For me this has nothing to do with a secure browser!
Will be immediately deleted from all devices.
the content of the email is nothing bad but so it does not work at all.

the email:

Faster, safer, ad-free browsing.

https://www.brave.com

Brave User Newsletter - November 2018

As we wrap up the month of November, the Brave team wants to thank you for your ongoing support. We are excited to share some breaking product news with you.

Brave Core 0.56

The latest release of the Brave browser (0.56) is now publicly available on the Brave website for Windows, MacOS and Linux.

This Chromium-based release replaces the Muon-based Brave browser and delivers:

OUR FASTEST BROWSER EVER - a 22% faster load time
IMPROVED BRAVE REWARDS - improved usability, look & feel
PRIVACY ENHANCEMENTS - around Tor and privacy search engine settings

If you have an existing Brave Payments account, be sure to watch the following Video (How to Backup and Restore Your Wallet in Brave) and follow Steps 1, 2 and 3 to upgrade to the latest browser:

STEP 1. Backup your wallet

STEP 2. Download the latest Brave Browser 0.55

STEP 3. Restore your wallet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C99Z70nllzg

Download Brave CORE https://brave.com/download/

In Case You Missed it:

Brave Adds Tipping

The new browser update now lets users like yourself tip your favorite content creators via the Brave browser.

Read more about it here https://www.cryptoglobe.com/latest/2018/10/brave-browser-starts-rolling-out-its-built-in-bat-tipping-feature/.

https://www.facebook.com/BraveSoftware/

https://twitter.com/brave

Brave Marketing

512 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94107

how many mails do you have on gmail i have like 24000 promo and junk spam is not included
im just lazy to delete them
dont know when i subscribed for them

I haven’t subscribed to anything on brave nor was I on their website.
the only way they could get my email is to pick it up from my smartphone.

its easy to pickup your mail on smartphone
you signin to google on brave

I didn’t signed in to google.
but that’s not the point, the point is that my data will be used without my consent and that I don’t feel to be trustworthy

well when you use smartphone it happens you cant control it
only one way stay offline

Forum kindly sponsored by