Brave Browser update to 1.17.75-1 (AUR) wants to download tons of GiB - 15 million receiving objects - what is going on?

I have tried almost every browser I could find, there isn’t a really great solution, but brave currently works best for me if I need to use something based on chromium.
Qutebrowser is pretty nice, but last time I checked addons didn’t really work.
It also has some other minor annoyances.

Brave is a shame for the resources that needs.

There are a lot of programs that are just some hundreds of kB to download and compile in a matter of minutes

Also experiencing the same, I’ve had brave compiling from AUR since last night, now I’m just letting it do it’s thing out curiosity (compiling 23884 of 44767).
Trying to find info about it…

I have the same issue but I’m a bit afraid to install brave-bin. Will removing brave and installing brave-bin (or just installing it through pamac and letting it remove the conflicting package) also remove all data and look like a fresh install? Or will I retain everything from the brave package?

1 Like

Yes. User data is in your Home folder.

1 Like

Great! Thank you. I will update without delay and with peace of mind. :blush:

I got the same problem. Last entry is
Receiving objects: 99% (15189335/15300383), 19.92 GiB | 15.18 MiB/s
remote: Total 15300383 (delta 165), reused 194 (delta 72), pack-reused 15300081
Receiving objects: 100% (15300383/15300383), 19.93 GiB | 15.65 MiB/s
Receiving objects: 100% (15300383/15300383), 19.93 GiB | 13.61 MiB/s, done.

& then it hangs. i think most of us installed brave as “recommended” by the manjaro procedure here which “the system” translated to AUR as simply “brave” as recommended by the brave homepage… sorry i can’t post the URL here, its 1 of the rules of this forum. Just search for brave & look for installation on linux.

i’m gonna try the Arch procedure, ie just doing a
yay -S brave-bin

wish me luck!

I’m guessing you mean with Pamac?

❯ pamac install brave
Warning: brave is only available from AUR

Their instructions are:

❯ sudo pacman -S brave
error: target not found: brave

I’ve emailed them and requested they remove the Manjaro section from their website.

i don’t rem how i installed brave the 1st time… i tried to use yay to install brave-bin, but the system was still bugging me to upgrade brave (w/o bin). So from the pamac gui, i removed brave (w/o) bin. think that removed parts of brave-bin. So i (again) installed brave-bin as recommended by “brave-home URL”/linux.
yay -S brave-bin

I logged out & in… it worked! i’m now on " Version 1.18.77"
Best of all, my bookmarks were all preserved!

I used trizen.

trizen --noconfirm  --noedit -Sa  brave-bin

What does this mean please? I did look. I just don’t understand.
Oh! OK. I think I got it now.

trizen is a helper just like yay and others.

Sampson here, from the Brave team :wave:

I wanted to post briefly about your claim that Brave’s business model is centered around tracking users; nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, Brave is built in such a way so as to preclude this type of abuse from the design stage. Please allow me to briefly explain.

Brave doesn’t track users; we welcome network auditors to see for themselves. We routinely audit the network activity of popular browsers (including Brave), and publish findings1, 2. But you don’t have to take our word for it, independent researchers have also found that Brave is the most private browser3 (among Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Yandex) in terms of phoning home with your data.

Brave Ads is an optional feature of Brave. Often, when people hear about digital ads, they do think about tracking. That is indeed what takes place on the Web today; but that is what Brave’s Ad platform aims to address. Brave’s Ads are optional, and privacy-respecting.

For participating users, your browser instance downloads a regional catalog (JSON format) containing available ads for your region. The same regional catalog is downloaded for other users in your region, to prevent fingerprinting of individuals and their traffic. Your browser then studies that catalog locally, emitting no data to third-parties or even to the makers of Brave; your data stays on your device. If/when an ad is found, Brave displays this ad (timing and frequency are controlled by you, the user) via a desktop notification. When this notification appears, 70% of the associated ad revenue goes into a digital wallet.

At no point in this process has data left your device. Brave’s entire advertising model is private-by-design; your data stays on your device. So what’s Brave’s business model? That other 30% goes to Brave. That’s it. No data. No tracking. No auctioning user information. Nothing. Brave never has access to any of those things; we don’t want it. This is in keeping with our Can’t be evil (as opposed to Don’t be evil) mindset.

My apologies for the length of this response, but I wanted to clear up any confusion about how Brave works (as a business). The user’s privacy and trust are our top priority.

Sampson

Note: I am not able to share links; so please excuse the homoglyphs below; the ․ character in these domains is not a standard period; they will need to be replaced before these URLs can be copied and pasted for navigation. :nerd_face:

1. brave․com/brave-tops-browser-first-run-network-traffic-results
  2. brave․com/ios-browser-first-run
  3. scss․tcd․ie/Doug.Leith/pubs/browser_privacy.pdf
7 Likes

I think you missed a footnote. :wink:

1 Like

Two <sup> elements (1, and 2); sorry for the confusion :slight_smile: When I was writing it, I also thought to myself that it looked like a 12, lol.

Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate brave developers reaching out to us. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My pleasure! Brave has quite a few Manjaro users, and we would love nothing more than to offer a safe, reliable, easy to use browser for the whole of the Manjaro community. If there is anything I can ever do for you and the rest of the team/community, please do not hesitate to reach out :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Brave can also be installed directly from Manjaro as a snap.

1 Like

I’ve just pushed the new packages to all of our branches. Somehow they got deleted. Now restored. Sorry for the troubles.

3 Likes

I installed Brave snap twice (this morning and evening), but i could not get it up and running, so I just deleted it.

Very sorry to hear about your poor experience. Are you able to share any additional details about the issue(s) you encountered? I’d love to make sure we, on the Brave end of things, are doing everything we can to make the experience better.