[Bootsplash] Provided by the kernel

kernel
bootsplash
built-in

I like pretty. As long as there are no ponies.

I’ve still the contacts to the author. Only the support for encrypted harddrives went not in. It was a decision by Suse to stop the project. However, it was a good approach having a feature inside of the kernel.

Is it something you are going to maintain for manjaro kernels going forward?

Yes, it is planned to be maintained for upcoming kernels. Currently we support v4.14 - v4.17 kernels.

Hey guys, I made a bootsplash theme for Manjaro.

If you want to try out, you can find it here or as package on my personal repository.

Are you sure? FBFlash is from 2011 and not maintained, or do you refer to something else?

I may well be wrong it seems. I thought they were still actively maintaining it…

nice!

Fbsplash is old, has the same issues as Plymouth, and runs in userspace.
Bootsplash is much newer, runs in the kernel space, and looks much nicer.
Your kind of comparing apples to oranges.

I just had a couple of simple questions, I did not intend to start a debate.

@philm
Are we going to eventually detect and add the correct kernel driver line of the initramfs (mkinitcpio.conf) during install like other distribution do?

I’m sure there has to be a way to get calamares and/or MHWD to do this.

Otherwise the resolution can be detected wrong, especially on many UEFI systems.

Example: on my main HP system, if I hit any key during the bios/uefi post, I get my full resolution past to grub, If I do not then I get 800X600.

I think this would make for a much nicer experience, especially for the bootsplash.

Explain with some examples and how you think it can be done properly.

the bootsplash resolution is changing on my laptop after a bit loading.

but not on my desktop. the resolution is too low. so the logo is to big on my screen

logo_white3logo_white6logo_white2logo_white1logo_white4logo_white5

here some other logo colours for your manjaro bootsplash :slight_smile: (change the manjaro-man "white_logo.png)

The end user selects free drivers from grub on the live media.

During install mhwd detects which driver is in use in the live system (Intel, Nvidia, AMD, etc.) and adds the corresponding kernel driver to the driver line in the mkinitcpio.conf file prior to creating the initramfs.

This is just a guess though, I’d have to take a look at how other distribution like Debian do this.

For example, i915 (and intel_agp) module on Intel systems, nouveau on nvidia and radeon/amdgpu on ati systems?

Is this what you are referring to?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/kernel_mode_setting#Early_KMS_start

Yes, that is basically what I’m talking about. However, I haven’t yet had time to look into how other distribution are doing this.

I think it would make most sense to have it as a part of mhwd. It’s just one line of sed in each settings package (like video-Intel)

So there was a little bug on my version that the spinner didn’t do the full circle, fixed that already :smiley:

@philm,
Back on subject, shouldn’t bootsplash also be sed into the mkinitcpio.conf file and then trigger the initramfs to be rebuilt via a pacman hook as well?

I didn’t had time to check this topic for a while. Since we have now the option to display the vendor logo with linux419 it seems this not needed anymore. However, I’ll keep backporting the patches to newer kernels.

Thanks @philm for your intention not to drop this! Yeah vendor logo and silent boot work quite good for me but this thing is better because it can have animated elements and it totally hides everything during boot, reboot and shutdown. As for vendor logo thingy from linux419, it works ok but sometimes I see text messages when my laptop goes to reboot (“watchdog didn’t stop”, for example).