Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-4.9-x86_64-fallback.img
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/sda2@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
error: syntax error.
error: Incorrect command.
error: syntax error.
Syntax error at line 128
Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.
Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub
and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.

And there is no bootsplash during boot.

What does mkinitcpio -p linux414 say? Only that kernel supports bootsplash. Also do you have some like:

GRUB_GFXMODE=auto
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Or

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD=1024x768x32

… in /etc/default/grub

Or set vga kernel cmd line?

This is above.

Well, it’s working but the image is pixelated and I had to change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=quiet

You may check tux and manjaro-elegant on Nvidia to compare to your experience. Also this is still pre-alpha stuff.

post can't be empty

I just got another email from Max. Seems the development is kinda off again. Based on his email it seems upstream gave him some reason that a kernel integrated bootsplash is not needed at all. I’ve to fetch up with the discussion …

Max Staudt Da Upstream mir meine Arguments dafür weggenommen hat, sehe ich im Moment keinen Sinn mehr den Splash weiterzuführen.

Wie sieht es bei dir und Manjaro aus - warum wollt ihr den Kernel-Splash überhaupt haben? Für Feedback wäre ich dankbar.

I really like this idea though. i tried it on my kernel 4.15, but it wasn’t showing. So I figued it only works on 414 at this stage.

I do hope the work continues though, or it can be patched in by Manjaro Team. :slight_smile:

We can use the current patch-set for Manjaro. Currently the set is valid for v4.14 series only. It has to be rebased to v4.15 to work there. Also the given code is not yet the final one. I might get the actual code, but as of now the development stopped.

Based on upstream comments the used technology is outdated, however the idea is good and appreciated. Only the way it got implemented is not useful to be based on a technology they want to remove anyway.

Based on the discussion some fixes for Plymouth got added. Currently we see no proper way to use Plymouth at all in Manjaro.

So what ever the outcome of this is, I try to get the final code as it was given now. It is not so feature rich as Plymouth currently is, however already useful for some use-cases on our end.

Maybe some of you, who already played with the current state of the code might find some reasons to go on with it.

I have to say, that I like a bootsplash, but for real. My Computer isnt here for a beautiful boot-up, but a fast boot.

So the idea would be to

• optimize the boot process so we can boot just a bit faster
  • get rid of all the error logs on the default bootscreen

So that (with the standard grub entry for manjaro) the worst case is, that we’re from grub to *DM in 5 secounds on SSD, 20 secounds on HDD.

For that outdated technologies, thats the framebuffer things, that everybody wants to kill?

There is something in the works to have this provided by the DRM

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/195296/

So its not that outdated, and even would be available, when the inkernel FB stack would be removed.

Oh, thank you for your work! I slightly modified it to make a splash that better fits my Xiaomi laptop. Again, thank you.

can you share your theme?
also are you runinng 4.14 or 4.15?

I have only 4.14 kernel installed.
https://mega.nz/#!NUAzHDKK!YCtqI5wDA0wvxzeXtR3ilijt9VEWP_nnrSqbSoIKgwU
Just to make it clear: this theme was made for Mi Notebooks, so I used 1920x1080 image (yep I was too lazy to play with Krita). Maybe next time I make it less “heavy” (I already know what to do).

1. append bootsplash-manjaro-mi hook into HOOKS /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
  2. add quiet bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro-mi/bootsplash into GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX /etc/default/grub
  3. sudo mkinitcpio -p linux414
  4. sudo update-grub

Hey just have made it even more lightweight and way more friendly for different screen resolutions.
https://mega.nz/#!1RY0lJ5J!5VA7zXoDP-AaFNMqalBBWEUdzDG24kgSYcI777vhQGM

I’ve still to port this bootsplash to v4.15

one of the reasons am still on 4.14 :grin:

Hello.
I use nvidia proprietary drivers, and I have the same problem as adamshahcatalyst. The bootsplash is working, I don’t get any message during boot (that’s what I wanted), but the bootsplash shows enormous pixels…
So the result is unfortunately ugly. One workaround could be to create a theme with only right angles (like a simple manjaro logo, without text).

Can’t wait to see it implemented :sunglasses:

i’m with you on that, I don’t care about splash images as I know what OS I’m starting. So I respectfully hope that when these kernel bootsplash images are finalised they are easily disabled.

My i3-3110m notebook does start up to GUI login in roughly 5 seconds after pressing enter on the grub menu with the SSD even on battery. It’s only a Crucial MX300 2.5" SATA version as well. Maybe some startup analysis of your own PC is required to see which services are causing delays. the desktop with an HDD I haven’t timed but it is easily around 20-30 seconds as well.

When I find time I may port this splash to linux415+. The latest code lays in the provided patches, however there is currently no further development on it. Suse stopped it for given reasons.