[Bootsplash] Provided by the kernel

kernel
bootsplash
built-in

Ok I see. Looks like it doesn’t work for everyone. Or maybe you have some errors during the boot. I have to check various options on my side…
This is strange… I’ve never seen anything like running hook [blah-blah-blah]

Is “systemd-bootsplash” needed and what does it do?

Solved the text won’t appear after I added quiet in grub
mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES=“i915”
HOOKS=“base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap resume filesystems bootsplash-manjaro”

etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet loglevel=3 vga=current rd.systemd.show_status=auto rd.udev.log-priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0 resume=UUID=c8afc06e-d7a5-4f56-b14f-fb542d822576 bootsplash.bootfile=bootsplash-themes/manjaro/bootsplash"

Its now working good with these changes

AFAIK the sequence of hooks is an important thing. Try to make your HOOKS string look like
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf block keyboard keymap resume filesystems bootsplash-kde), then regenerate initrd with sudo mkinitcpio -P and update grub config with sudo update-grub.

Issue solved by adding i915 in module in mkinitcpio
Now its a smooth boot with bootsplash
https://youtu.be/d1_uKYlHToQ at least its smoother than earlier

@philm make this default in next iso its working good on legacy bios

It is not necessary. It even makes booting on my laptop less smooth - with it I see a tail of logs right before SDDM starts and a mess of text (about services stopping, watchdog, etc) when my notebook is going to reboot. As I understand @philm tried to make a service that stops bootsplash when display manager loads. I guess it may be a good approach for those who have some visual issues with it as I described above. For me it’s not worthwhile. Moreover, I’m using bootsplash for about a year now and I haven’t had any problems with it running in a background (I knew it - switching to different tty clearly stated that splash was on; ESC key always worked though).
Regarding @Shrinivas17081997 problem, damn, I forgot I had that in MODULES. My bad. I have set up my bootsplash so long ago so I just can’t remember everything I did during those cold winter days :cold_face:

Don’t remove quiet from grub

Well, I fixed it with bootsplash-systemd 0.1.1-2. It was always about timing. It is needed, else the splash runs non stop on tty1 :wink:

I got used to it, please! :grinning:
Didn’t know cuz Russian mirrors sync lag is always about a 2-4 hours at least.
OK, I gonna try it :OKAY_FACE:

If you mean that you haven’t removed it, well, me too, and I didn’t notice anything extraordinary.

I noticed.its not showing me any text at startup and at shutdown only bootsplash is shown at startup.

Adding the bootsplash would remove the major gripe people have with silent boot (possibility to mistake long boot with stuck one), wouldn’t it?

There is no speed differences as both technologies use the framebuffer. Boths are included in the kernel. No extra service like userspace plymouth is needed.

I don’t think so,combination of both is good as even if vendor logo isn’t displayed bootsplash will be displayed

I understand

Exactly what I meant. It would be an excellent combination with the planned quiet grub. The animation would make it clear that the boot is not stuck, you can show the console output with a key press, and the fsck issue is taken care of. That would take care of all valid points of criticism of the new feature while also looking very nice.

Plymouth can show up when shutting down. Is bootsplash doing it too?

Yes, you can configure that. Simply install bootsplash-systemd.

I folowed the instructions, installed bootsplash-systemd and even removed the grub kernel “quiet” option.
Works very smooth.

The only thing I wonder - are all boot splashes black and white? I tried the Manjaro elegant and amd spashes.

Installed it with the new quiet boot, works like a charm but it seems that the theme packages are outdated so they look like they don’t have any antialias (kinda horrible considering it’s not pixel art) and there’s no bootsplash-systemd on stable branch, Or maybe it’s just my mirrors?, i guess i’ll just have to wait.

EDIT: I just got over it and grabbed the packages from the manjaro repositories online, the theme issue only happens with manjaro-elegant, the other ones don’t look so pixelated. Maybe i’ll port my plymouth theme to the new kernel bootsplash or do a new one all together.

Why I don’t see bootsplash-theme-manjaro-elegant in the extra repository?