Booting multiple OSs from multiple EFI paritions and Restoring Windows and Manjaro Boot after losing EFI Partition

grub
uefi
windows
partitions

If the UUID has changed, you have to do the “More Complicated” Method.
The "probe -u " there will get the right UUID for you.
And after fixing Manjaro, change Arch fstab too (at Manjaro OS).

ps: fixing windows boot needn’t change $esp UUID or any UUID. But too late.

1 Like

Actually I was able to boot Manjaro by pressing F12 and selecting it from my boot menu at startup. So I guess the UUID wasn’t changed.

Also, my guess about the PARTUUID seems to have been wrong, so I have no idea what set id really does.

Maybe grub and Manjaro weren’t wiped out by Windows because bcdboot just copies the files from the Windows partition to the EFI partition, maybe that’s different from how it’s done on a fresh install.

Anyway, I think I can just run update-grub now right?

0 Likes

Please no pictures.
Output from terminal copy and paste between three ``` (backticks), please,
or use </>. You can edit your post, no new post is needed.

0 Likes

We can always run ‘update-grub’ anytime. Or ‘grub-install’.
Yes, do it.

Glad to hear your UUID hasn’t changed and you do not have to go through all the hassles again.
Cheers.

2 Likes

Ok, did it, now I’ve got Manjaro and Windows 10 in grub.

Not as glad as I am haha.

Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.

I’ll attempt to install macOS to that second EFI partition again after I image Windows and figure out why the EFI partition got wiped out in the first place and hopefully how I can prevent it from happening again. At least I know what to do now if I ever find myself in this position again.

1 Like

m-i-s-100 , please. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

So, remember to change fstab of Manjaro and Arch to that of PARTUUID. Test them before installing macOS. Then you don’t have to change fstab to the right UUID when UUID changes. As said, PARTUUID does not change so we can skip one step when MacOS change the UUID.

2 Likes

As I"ve told you already, has nothing to do with UUID.
If I understood the description, it sets the partition flags, like $esp, like Gparted does in a human readable format.

1 Like

closed #69

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes