There is a subset of laptops that will not boot without these intervening steps even with the live media, maybe they are all bumbleb ee..
If anyone has a list of effected systems it would be nice. I know in involves Nvidia chipped systems.
- Boot live media by passing kernel parameter
systemd.mask=mhwd-live.servicethat should get you to live session
- Now before you start the install from the live session change the lines at the end of the file
/lib/calamares/modules/mhwdcfg/main.pyto match below
def run(): """ Configure the hardware """ mhwd = MhwdController() # return mhwd.run() return None # <- Add this and comment the above line
- Now run the installer and it should work. Reboot your system and proceed.
Pay attention -- After the reboot you need to do the next steps, you may need to write it down.
- Add the following kernel flags at the Grub boot menu otherwise the system won’t boot:
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009"
- Test system after boot to see if it is working see the first command below
$ systemctl status bumblebeed optirun -b none nvidia-settings -c :8
You should see the nvidia-settings showing your dedicated GPU.
Now make it Permenant: >>>>>> Do not skip this Last step
Don't forget to add
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=\"Windows 2009\" to your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in the file
And then at the terminal run
Look also, you will see other suggestions such as "Windows 2015" etc... I have not tested them but if someone else has verified it works then go with whatever works for your laptop.