Rpm or dpkg required for installing Brother DCP-T220 printer drivers

I cannot find drivers for my printer Brother DCP-T220 on AUR library. I tried installing through the driver installation tool given on Brother website but it throws an error

Rpm or dpkg is required.
rmdir: failed to remove ‘’: No such file or directory

I think it is because of only .deb and .rpm packages available for brother printers. Is there a way I can install the drivers.

you can install “debtap” from the aur that converts deb-packages and give it a try. check the internet for further handling of debtap but it should be more easy to use “cups” to install brother-printers.

here’s a howto at youtube, it’s german but it’s self-declaring. you’ll find much more searching for “manjaro brother cups”.

Follow this guide according to a similar post:

1 Like

I am new to arch linux, I tried this method but could not figure out how to make the PKGBUILD file

I have almost made the PKGBUILD file but I don’t know what to fill in the md5sums: (). Hence, I am getting an error because I tried with “skip” arguement.

@aryanbhagat I have created a pkgbuild for you. Just follow these instructions:

sudo pacman -S base-devel git --needed
git clone https://github.com/ishaanbhimwal/brother-dcpt220.git
cd brother-dcpt220
makepkg -si
1 Like

git clone GitHub - ishaanbhimwal/brother-dcpt220
Cloning into ‘brother-dcpt220’…
remote: Enumerating objects: 5, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (5/5), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
remote: Total 5 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (5/5), done.

But I was able to create my own PKGBUILD. Thank you anyways for the help.

Hi,

Are you sure you need a driver to make your printer work ? Did you try this first ?

Great! I have added the package to the AUR incase anyone needs it:

pamac build brother-dcpt220
4 Likes

autofill running updpkgsums in the same folder of the pkgbuild

Some things need or could be changed in your pkgbuild, I’ll send you a patch when I have time

1 Like

I did install the package successfully and it has been added in the printer section but the printer is still not working. It just shows active jobs but nothing happens.

None of the command is working - test page, cleaning heads, etc.

This is not a wifi printer, I have connected it via USB. It has been added through administrator settings

Can you try to download the driver here: Downloads | DCP-T220 | Others | Brother ?

Those are .deb and .rpm packages. Those can’t be installed on Arch that is why I am getting the original error of rpm or dpkg required.

What is the status in localhost:631/printers/ when you try to print a test page from gnome-settings?

Yourself or the AUR one cause I recently updated it?

In the gnome-settings when I print a test page the status remains idle on localhost:631/printers/.

yay brother-dcpt220

I removed my printer and then installed from aur.