Boot time and Running Slow - fresh install

When I open the /etc/default/grub file in the notepad and try to save, it says permission denied.

I found this did the trick:

sudo xdg-open /etc/default/grub

Rebooting now.

No real change. Boot time to log in was still about 50 seconds.

Howdy!

Could you please provide me the output of udevadm info --attribute-walk -n /dev/sda1 | grep 'DRIVERS=="[^"]' , please?

Thank you!

" DRIVERS==ā€œsdā€
DRIVERS==ā€œahciā€ "

Sweet!

Now its time to sudo nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf !

Then find the line starting by MODULES=" , and remove everything between the quotation marks and add ahci sd_mod ext4 in between of the quotation mark.

Then find the line starting with BINARIES=" and clear everything (or add fsck fsck.ext4 if you want to check the disk quickly at startup)

Now find the line starting with HOOKS=" and remove everything except base .

After that go completely to the bottom, and add COMPRESSION="cat"

If some of the lines are missing, you may add them.

Ctrl+S to save, Ctrl+X to leave.

You may then execute sudo mkinitcpio -P , sudo update-grub and reboot!

It should be 10 to 40% faster (results may vary)!

Awesome thanks!
I have done those things, Iā€™ll reboot now and see.

Ok Iā€™d say thereā€™s about a 5-10 sec saving in time at the moment. After logging in the login screen seems to hang for a couple extra longer seconds than before, but otherwise the boot is faster for me to get back into a browser window. The shut down seems faster than before, Iā€™d say about 2-3secs faster.

I have this added and noticed it did take some time (maybe 20secs or so). Iā€™ll clear that line from BINARIES=" and re-execute:

I will update in a few minutes.

Edit: alright so time-wise thereā€™s no difference whether I keep the fsck fsck.ext4 or not.
Is there a benefit to keeping this line/versus not keeping it?

If thereā€™s minor corruption, this may fix it!

Ok Iā€™ve added this back, reboot time is the same regardless. Pretty happy with how it runs once it is booted and logged in.

Is this probably going to be as good as I can get with this machine?

Maybe I can start looking into other things and using Manjaro haha.

1 Like