Ask tips/tricks to optimize Kde (plasma 5)

Hello everybody,

Do you have any tips/tricks to optimize Kde plasma 5 to reduce memory consumption, CPU/GPU load, power consumption (if it is possible of course) on desktop hardware and laptop hardware ?

Thanks.

Regards.

Quite a lot can be done:

• disable desktop effects, transparencies, and other fireworks
  • disable unnecessary services
  • disable KRunner, indexing and file searching
  • remove unnecessary applets from the desktop, taskbar and system tray
  • remove unnecessary modules, I recommend caution here, but you can safely remove kdeconnect or plasma-browser-integration (others may delete all desktop)
  • change composer settings (it can be turned off, but I have never tried and I don’t know what effect it will give, similarly you can lower the screen resolution - I didn’t try either)
  • use QT programs, not GTK
  • use lightweight alternatives for LibreOffice, Firefox and other apps
3 Likes

@Tomek: Thanks for your reply.

Since I’ve been using this desktop for a short time, can you give me the location where to turn off these options? If it is not too much to ask for:

• disable desktop effects, transparencies, and other fireworks
  • disable KRunner, indexing and file searching

disable unnecessary services

Do you have an idea on unnecessary services ?

remove unnecessary applets from the desktop, taskbar and system tray

I need some applets.

remove unnecessary modules, I recommend caution here, but you can safely remove kdeconnect or plasma-browser-integration (others may delete all desktop)

How to remove unnecessary modules ?

change composer settings (it can be turned off, but I have never tried and I don’t know what effect it will give, similarly you can lower the screen resolution - I didn’t try either)

I guess it is in configuration options ?

use QT programs, not GTK

I use some GTK programs (example: homebank).

use lightweight alternatives for LibreOffice, Firefox and other apps

I need LibreOffice and Firefox.

Regards.

For example if you don’t use bluetooth or printers disable them (or delete). You should decide what you need and what not. You can disable in system settings. There also you have composer settings.

Through pamac.

Hello,

For disable the desktop effects open the System Settings and the tab of Behavior of working space. Coming to the Effects of Office and disable the desktop effects.

For disable KRunner, open the System Settings and the tab of the Working Space. After the menu Search and disable the differents apply of KRunner.

1 Like

In my experience, to lower the memory consumption, you need to uninstall akonadi and all akonadi related apps (usually there are not needed) and refrein from using latte-dock (which I love and use on my main computer, but it uses a lot of RAM, so I use plasma panels instead on older, weaker laptops).

Also baloo is a pesky, resource intensive process that could be disabled. There should be sites to find with info how to do it.

That is usually sufficient but if your laptop is ancient and weak with super weak battery, use @Tomek’s advices.

Thanks guys for your advices. :wink: :+1: