Boot file not found

Hi guys,
I’m having this error when I restarted my pc after crushing while updating.

“error: file’/boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86-64’ not found
Error: you need to load the kernel first
Press any key to continue…”

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

You are unfortunately not the only one to run into this problem. Many people interrupt the update process because they think their machine is hanging, and then they press the reset button. For other people, there may be other reasons why the update process gets interrupted, but an interrupted update will indeed leave you without a bootable kernel, because the kernel images are only properly installed during the last phase of the update process.

What you need to do is boot up from the install medium ─ CD or USB ─ in live mode, open up a terminal, and then issue the following commands… :arrow_down:

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a

This will autodetect your Manjaro installation. If you have multiple operating systems installed, then you may need to enter a number from a list.

Next, issue the following command… :arrow_down:

pacman-mirrors -f 5 && pacman -Syyu

Be sure to let the process finish this time, no matter how long it takes. This is important. At the end of the process, when the command prompt returns, simply type… :arrow_down:

exit

… or press Ctrl+D. It should now be safe to reboot the machine. Be sure to remove the CD/USB again to prevent the machine from booting up from that instead of from the internal drive.

1 Like

Thank you soo much :blush::heart:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.